PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir: reality series and documentary premiering 5/24/09(merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

FSfan107
05-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Any chance there will be a film festival closer down south where "Pop Star on Ice" will air, namely in NC?:D Does Raleigh ever have any film fests?

HisWeirness
05-22-2009, 12:27 AM
Any chance there will be a film festival closer down south where "Pop Star on Ice" will air, namely in NC?:D Does Raleigh ever have any film fests?

Durham has the major all-documentary Full Frame Film Festival, but that was held last month, so the filmmakers and us NC fans just missed out. Too bad. :( :( :(

Maybe we should just commandeer a bar or a living room in Raleigh and have a showing! ;)

Swishcicle
05-23-2009, 10:49 PM
'Pop Star on Ice' gets high scores: A lengthy and detailed review by Outsports (http://www.outsports.com/os/index.php/component/content/article/41-2009/238-pop-star-on-ice-get) Wee. :swoon:

igniculus
05-23-2009, 11:30 PM
'Pop Star on Ice' gets high scores: A lengthy and detailed review by Outsports (http://www.outsports.com/os/index.php/component/content/article/41-2009/238-pop-star-on-ice-get) Wee. :swoon:

:eek: OMG, the photo! :rofl: :lol:

Love the quotes, btw.

Were like a married couple without the sex, Weir says.

PML!

At one point in the film the two best friends talk about Mark Lunds mean-spirited comments about Weir from 2007 (more info here) and the issue of sexuality arises. And in the conversation lies one of the beautiful qualities of Johnny Weir. After weve seen him in a bubble bath with his best friend, seen him voguing down a practice runway (i.e., a hotel hallway), seen him sitting around the house in a tiara and talking about make-up, and as hes sitting on a couch next to a Hello Kitty doll, he just wont talk about whom hes dating (and no, its not Childers), as though to say, If you idiots still dont get it yet, you dont deserve to know.

Hm. ;)

oakl0008
05-23-2009, 11:38 PM

Thanks for this! This is what Figure Skating should be: Characters that are multifaceted and facinating as Weir certainly is. What is great with him is that he does what he feels is right for him, and ALSO makes an effort not to take himself seriously now. That's the true combination that will draw an audience and lasting interest.

Too many skaters in the world today, in America and particularly Canada are fake and generic, do only as they are told, and that makes Weir a fabulous entity. Give me the real thing over an act anyday. Go Weir!

I wish there was a way too bootleg this gem of a documentay in Canada!

pairsskater
05-24-2009, 12:08 AM
I may have to get on a plane to see this.....why is middle America forgotten?? We like movies, :watch: (and Johnny), too.

IceJunkie
05-24-2009, 12:26 AM
:lol: Loved the review. I hope its as good as they made it out to be.

Rottie
05-24-2009, 02:03 AM
I have to see this!

Sigh. I hope his duties for the board of this nonprofit and whatever he's doing to design and promote the fashion line aren't distracting from his skating . . . :wall:

oakl0008
05-24-2009, 06:05 AM
I have to see this!

Sigh. I hope his duties for the board of this nonprofit and whatever he's doing to design and promote the fashion line aren't distracting from his skating . . . :wall:

Um...I wouldn't think it is. He skated in Festa and another fashion show before and after worlds. Considering the awesome profile he is managing AND all of the achievments he has made, what other skater could have managed that in todays skating standards?! Others may have won more titles, however carry this fake mediocre "family friendly" persona, that any real fans are too bored with to watch.

Olympic medal/Gold or none, Johnny Weir has already won. While almost every other skater out there is so wrapped up in putting points together to get that one shot at medal glory (something Johnny Weir also wants of course), Weir is also guaranteeing himself a long term stay in the skating world and public eye by being himself while being humorus, drawing an audience and making himself watchable time and time again.

I wish other skaters, Canadian and American, would use such opportunities. And the whole "it's their personal life and I don't want to know about it" crap, well, the fact that skaters have become these fake, generic, one dimensional caricatures on the ice that do and say only what and when their told with conservative taboos from the 1950's (ladies wear dresses, act like a lady and be pretty, etc etc), has sunk figure skating so far into mediocrity that no wonder the audiences are low. Thank God for Johnny Weir! :saint:

He will kick some serious ass next season. Book it. If not, he doesn't need to, Weir is immortal in the skating world now.

Rottie
05-24-2009, 06:07 AM
He will kick some serious ass next season.

I hope so! It would make me :swoon:

HisWeirness
05-24-2009, 02:07 PM
:eek: OMG, the photo! :rofl: :lol:

That photo (http://www.outsports.com/os/images/stories/paris_johnny_bathtub_625.jpg)! :D Oh, if we had avatars at FSU Johnny with the wig and glasses would be mine! :saint: Johnny + wigs (http://www.figureskatersonline.com/adamrippon/photos/09Festa/Adam-and-Johnny-Hair.jpg) = :swoon: :D

Can't wait for the FSUers in Seattle to give us some premiere reports! :cheer:

LadyNit
05-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Yeeeekkk! What I notice most about that photo is how freakin' filthy the grout is. :rofl:

mmscfdcsu
05-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Yeeeekkk! What I notice most about that photo is how freakin' filthy the grout is. :rofl:

:rofl: How could obsessive clean freak Johnny even sit in that tub? Anything for publicity I guess.

igniculus
05-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Eeeeks, eys! Gross! :scream: :yikes:

LadyNit
05-25-2009, 05:38 AM
The documentary was wonderful. My only regret, they didn't show any of his programs full on from start to finish and overdubbed the performance music with their own version. In effect, we were watching montages of his skating. But they were gorgeous montages that captured the essence of Johnny's technique and performance ability.

The Johnny presented in the movie was a scamp, an actor, an athlete, a fond friend, a young man coming of age, over confident, a bundle of nerves, dedicated, thoughtless...totally engaging. I'm impressed that he was willing and able to share his life with the camera so openly.

The film is both a tribute to Johnny, and a tribute to the sport of figure skating. Bravo Johnny.