PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir: reality series and documentary premiering 5/24/09(merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58

mmscfdcsu
07-08-2010, 01:56 AM
You're right, it's been a while. :saint:

But I never said he had good taste. ;) I just have to admire anybody who goes out of the house in such a crazy outfit.

But we all did that as children. I lived through the '60's and '70's. We looked like morons too. It is part of growing up, trying on new identities. That's why so many of the kids musicians dress up and act out in their pseudo sexy videos. It's a developmental stage.

Anita18
07-08-2010, 02:30 AM
But we all did that as children. I lived through the '60's and '70's. We looked like morons too. It is part of growing up, trying on new identities. That's why so many of the kids musicians dress up and act out in their pseudo sexy videos. It's a developmental stage.
And it's arguable that it's also something precious we lose as adults - the confidence and "devil may care" attitude that made everything we did just AWESOME. :lol:

museksk8r
07-08-2010, 02:47 AM
Well, it looked rerally stupid. His hair was awful and the picture just plain didn't work. I would expect that those who drank the kool aid would love the picture. Rational folks, not so much.

:shuffle: Oh please! It's totally Johnny's personality to be silly and goofy and to mock himself and others and to have fun dressing up and not take himself seriously. He has a very over the top, insanely fun sense of humor. He loves to be absolutely ridiculous. The joke's on people who get worked up over every little thing he says and does. These people take Weir way more seriously than he takes himself.

Norlite
07-08-2010, 03:11 AM
I was addressing the photo from a fashion standpoint. The photo that Johnny linked on his Twitter looked tacky and low budget. There was nothing fashion related at all about that photo. It just made him look stupid. Very different from the Black Book photos which were artistic and appropriate for a fashion shoot.

It was low budget. It was a twitpic. Probably taken with a phone. not part of the shoot

Oh, come now. We all do that. :) It's what we're here for!

Yes, most of us do. Many of us do it in different ways and different levels.

For example, how many have dreamt of having parts tattooed? Show of hands.

aftershocks
07-08-2010, 05:24 AM
And it's arguable that it's also something precious we lose as adults - the confidence and "devil may care" attitude that made everything we did just AWESOME. :lol:

I agree ... as I posted earler: There's lots of qualities and fun things about childhood that adults might be happier never forgetting or losing touch with …

:shuffle: Oh please! It's totally Johnny's personality to be silly and goofy and to mock himself and others and to have fun dressing up and not take himself seriously. He has a very over the top, insanely fun sense of humor. He loves to be absolutely ridiculous. The joke's on people who get worked up over every little thing he says and does. These people take Weir way more seriously than he takes himself.

ITA. JWe himself is quoted in the recent Out interview linked in this thread: "Through everything -- human ugliness and being judged, bad fashion sense and good fashion sense -- I’ve managed to stay very true to myself. I think that's something to be proud of." And, as Johnny said in the recent Lifeskate interview: "I don't take myself too seriously. We all have nipples."

In the Out interview, LOL at Johnny's description of his feelings for Gaga:

"I beyond love her. She is a way of life. I just find her so unique, and that’s something that’s really hard to find in the world. It’s hard to find someone who is comfortable going out there with sunglasses lit up with cigarettes or cans of diet Coke wrapped up in a wig. Nobody has the balls to do that."

When asked for perhaps the millionth time about his sexuality, Johnny is quoted as saying:

"I’ve always been comfortable with who I am. ... I just finished the chapter in my book about my sexuality and my idea of it. I haven’t discussed it -- not because I’m ashamed of anything you’ll read about when my book comes out -- I just don’t want to put it out there in a way where someone can twist my words. ... I don’t believe in a purely gay person or a purely straight person. I have a very clear opinion of my own sexuality."

I'm looking forward to reading Johnny's book in January.

igniculus
07-08-2010, 07:58 AM
In the Out interview, LOL at Johnny's description of his feelings for Gaga:

"I beyond love her. She is a way of life. I just find her so unique, and thatís something thatís really hard to find in the world. Itís hard to find someone who is comfortable going out there with sunglasses lit up with cigarettes or cans of diet Coke wrapped up in a wig. Nobody has the balls to do that."

Fair description, but not because Gaga is so original, but because most people are sane compared to that ridiculous woman.

DickButtonFan
07-08-2010, 08:26 AM
"I beyond love her. She is a way of life. I just find her so unique, and that’s something that’s really hard to find in the world. It’s hard to find someone who is comfortable going out there with sunglasses lit up with cigarettes or cans of diet Coke wrapped up in a wig. Nobody has the balls to do that."

Ok Johnny, but what's the point of her having sunglasses lit up with cigarettes in the first place? "Nobody has the balls to do that" I think it's more like nobody has a reason to that. Being unique is great, but just the fact that somehing is unique doesn't automatically equal greatness. I guess what I'm trying to say is uniqueness isn't enough of a reason to like anything, there needs to be much more. Her outfits don't make sense to me. Maybe I'm not getting it and someone can explain.

DickButtonFan
07-08-2010, 09:09 AM
What are you the most proud of?
Through everything -- human ugliness and being judged, bad fashion sense and good fashion sense -- Iíve managed to stay very true to myself. Iíve never buckled to pressure. Iíve never given into anyone, and Iíve done everything my way. I think thatís something to be very proud of because thatís something difficult to do nowadays.

This is my fav quote and why I like him.

sus2850
07-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Ok Johnny, but what's the point of her having sunglasses lit up with cigarettes in the first place? "Nobody has the balls to do that" I think it's more like nobody has a reason to that. Being unique is great, but just the fact that somehing is unique doesn't automatically equal greatness. I guess what I'm trying to say is uniqueness isn't enough of a reason to like anything, there needs to be much more. Her outfits don't make sense to me. Maybe I'm not getting it and someone can explain.

Well, to her, being an Andy Warhol follower, it is art. Not fashion. As she explained in some interviews. And art is something that doesn't need to make sense, I think.

danceronice
07-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Well, to her, being an Andy Warhol follower, it is art. Not fashion. As she explained in some interviews. And art is something that doesn't need to make sense, I think.

Just beause it's 'art' and out there doesn't make it intrinsically valuable or intelligent, either. (FWIW I think Lady Gaga's REAL genius, and I use the term in all sincerity, is that she used the wacked-out stuff to go from being a very talented singer no one noticed to a brand name. She is in fact a really good musician, but it took putting the cigarettes on her sunglasses for people to go "Whoa, what is THAT?" and start paying attention.)

I donít believe in a purely gay person or a purely straight person. I have a very clear opinion of my own sexuality."

Interesting statement by Johnny (and one I think is actually more intelligent and informed than "You are born gay or straight, it is purely genetic.") Certianly it's much more in line with sexual behavior in different cultures throughout history (the Romans would have boggled at the idea 'sexual identity' had anything to do with the gender of the partner, for example.) It might not be the world's most popular sentiment, though, especially for the kind of people who want him and other celebs to 'out' themselves (Perez Hilton, I am looking at you. :angryfire)

HisWeirness
07-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Pictures of Johnny from a photoshoot in Japan for his art book currently titled "Johnny Weir: I Feel Pretty"

Death by disco ball (http://twitpic.com/24vjfb)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs099.ash2/38291_1400835618751_1168130475_30961831_1756958_n. jpg
http://twitpic.com/24vlgl

REO
07-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Lol the picture isn't that great but the caption is! I've seen other pix from this and it looks like it will be a nice book.

igniculus
07-13-2010, 05:35 PM
http://twitpic.com/24vlgl

Not fan of the discoball, but I love the gothic look on the last van. Sort of visual key.

aftershocks
07-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Anymore details on Johnny's art book; e.g., full of art photos, no fs photos?; who's publishing?

I found the below on youtube -- perhaps old news, but who is the Johnny Weir look-a-like Russian singer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3NzLkgAirU

REO
07-13-2010, 10:59 PM
The art book is from Japan and will come out, I think, in October. I've seen a couple of other pix from what they called a "Mook" book. I don't know if this is the same thing but those pix were beautiful. The Japanese are making a big fuss over him as usual. They are such supportive great fans.