PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir: reality series and documentary premiering 5/24/09(merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

psycho
04-24-2010, 07:33 PM
I don't understand why when this conversation comes up everyone assumes Takahashi should be losing a medal to Johnny. Hello, there were two other dudes on that podium who were wuzgifted tremendously ( Lysacek for those 3As ( if Takahashi is getting downgrades, how is he getting away with this shit?!), not getting as sever lip deduction, Plushy for that shit choreography). Also, didn't Takahashi under-rotate his 3-3 combo in the short?

These 3 were anointed as the top 3 even in the SP, where I believe most of the major manipulation occurred. With this in mind, seeing people scoff at the geographic region theory is amusing, because nothing hammers it home like the SP results.

Weir had 4 jumping passes after the halfway point while both Chan and Takahashi had 5 including a triple axel. Weir frontloaded his 2 triple axels. With COP its very important to do a triple axel at the halfway point.
This is a moot point because Chan couldn't land almost half of his planned jumps properly, and Weir's base value was more than 2 points higher than Takahashi's with cleaner execution;.

So, doesn't that imply politics?

Takahashi's performances are usually good, but at the Olympics, his LP did not blow me away.

He had two < and two !, and he fell, and his skating was tentative, which is a quality that others often cite when Weir or others have low PCS.
Takahashi was tentative, Lysacek was even more tentative, Plushy looked shaky and Lambiel looked lethargic. Weir is the only one who went out there and skated lights out, most likely because after seeing his SP marks he had nothing to lose and no real hope of gaining anything. As a result, his performance/ execution mark should have been higher than any of the above, but it wasn't.

jlai
04-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Johnny knows full well how the game is played. He could just play the game, build up his consistency reputation, get used to cop programs beginning last season, skate shorts that will set him up as the top 3, beat Lysacek in competitions leading up to the Olympics, etc. etc.

Lysacek might not be the best skater but he played the game perfectly, and I'm saying that as someone who really doesn't care for Evan's skating.

psycho
04-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Johnny knows full well how the game is played. He could just play the game, build up his consistency reputation, get used to cop programs beginning last season, skate shorts that will set him up as the top 3, beat Lysacek in competitions leading up to the Olympics, etc. etc.

Lysacek might not be the best skater but he played the game perfectly, and I'm saying that as someone who's not a fan.

Sorry, how is this different from Plushenko getting 90s for PCS based on past accomplishments? And also, may I mention the fact that Lysacek hadn't been skating very stellar this year if you actually consider his performances, especially at the GPF, where he was out skated technically even on paper, yet was handed a 10 point PCS lead for a sub-par effort in the FS and given the win. He's been wuzgifted at Nationals too, which didn't stop him and his coach from bitching about not getting 9s in PCS. And let's not forget those 3as, which, had they been downgraded at 2009 Worlds as they should have been, he wouldn't have any reputation to begin with.

Lysacek's team played the best game off the ice. The amount of bs they put out in the media this year alone is astounding ( Carroll called him the most interpretive and musical skater today, or something along those lines). Which once again, underlines the idea that politics play a huge role in skating.

tarotx
04-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Johnny should have won gold? He's not even the skater he used to be. His speed and over all skating skills aren't even close to what they were in 2006.

psycho
04-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Johnny should have won gold?

I never said that Johnny should have won the gold. I am just saying that if this competition was judged by amnesiac judges, with no politics and only skating as their guide, the podium would be vastly different from what it was.

jlai
04-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Sorry, how is this different from Plushenko getting 90s for PCS

Lysacek knows how to set himself up as the man to beat by winning the world champ last year and consistently placing top 3 in the short this season and doing well enough in the long to be taken seriously.

He played the game perfectly and he won. And he has a gold medal to show for it.

The thing is that Johnny's lp at the Olympics wasn't even clean, and he didn't try the quad like his coach told him to. Slightly undermarked? Sure. But 3rd or higher? No.

Sparks
04-24-2010, 11:27 PM
I would never claim Johnny should have been third or higher. I would say there is a valid argument for him to come in 4th or 5th...when taking the SP into account.

Willowway
04-24-2010, 11:30 PM
The thing is that Johnny's lp at the Olympics wasn't even clean, and he didn't try the quad like his coach told him to. Slightly undermarked? Sure. But 3rd or higher? No.

jlai - ITA, you've distilled the argument very well.

AJ Skatefan
04-25-2010, 12:37 AM
I would never claim Johnny should have been third or higher. I would say there is a valid argument for him to come in 4th or 5th...when taking the SP into account.

What Sparks said. I agree with the top three but don't see how Chan and Lambiel placed higher than Johnny. Also I think Johnny should have gotten higher PCS marks for Skating Skills and Performance than he did.

Jaana
04-25-2010, 07:50 AM
I am just saying that if this competition was judged by amnesiac judges, with no politics and only skating as their guide, the podium would be vastly different from what it was.

Well, in the whole judging panel there were many Russian sounding names :lol::

http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2010/SEG002OF.HTM

The podium was exactly right, IMO, although Plushenko should not have been held up so much in PCS, IMO. Takahashi should have won he silver medal. Who else based on their skating both in sp and fs should have been on the podium? Definetely not Weir, Lambiel, Chan or Oda....

deltask8er
06-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Season finale June 27:

http://www.sundancechannel.com/johnny-weir/

Cheylana
06-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Looking forward to the next installment! Many of the things Johnny says drive me crazy, but he's certainly never boring, so I guess he's doing something right.... Although it is too much to hope that Johnny keeps his pants on this time? Cuz sweetie, I really don't want to see you squeezing your bare tush (fine as it may be)! :lol:

(Did you see how chatty Lysacek was at the grand prix final 2009 with the ISU president? I have that video. He didn't talked to oda or Weir. He only went to lysacek and they were so chatty. I'm just saying. and he didn't even talk to oda or Weir( but a lot to Lysacek, they seemed to know each other well like they met a lot. They were so close together. I'm just saying.......)- and I don't like Lysacek acting like this. How can a current figure skate athlete be that chatty with ISU president? before Oly? is it completely appropriate behavior? I don't think so.....
What was Evan supposed to say - "Buzz off Speedy!"???

cruisin
06-21-2010, 07:16 PM
(Did you see how chatty Lysacek was at the grand prix final 2009 with the ISU president? I have that video. He didn't talked to oda or Weir. He only went to lysacek and they were so chatty. I'm just saying. and he didn't even talk to oda or Weir( but a lot to Lysacek, they seemed to know each other well like they met a lot. They were so close together. I'm just saying.......)- and I don't like Lysacek acting like this. How can a current figure skate athlete be that chatty with ISU president? before Oly? is it completely appropriate behavior? I don't think so.....

I can't comment on the judging. However, as far as Evan talking to Cinquanta, that happens all of the time. Officials talk to skaters at international events all of the time. You may have just seen Cinquanta talking to Evan, that doesn't mean he did not talk to anyone else, off camera.

REO
06-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Looking forward to the next installment! Many of the things Johnny says drive me crazy, but he's certainly never boring, so I guess he's doing something right.... Although it is too much to hope that Johnny keeps his pants on this time? Cuz sweetie, I really don't want to see you squeezing your bare tush (fine as it may be)! :lol:

What was Evan supposed to say - "Buzz off Speedy!"???

I'd like to say that! Darn you Evan. What an opportunity you had and you blew it! :lol:

Cheylana
06-21-2010, 08:09 PM
I'd like to say that! Darn you Evan. What an opportunity you had and you blew it! :lol:
Would love to be a fly on the wall if Speedy and Johnny ever sit down for a chat :)