PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir: reality series and documentary premiering 5/24/09(merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

jlai
03-07-2010, 05:28 AM
In my post-Olympic depressions I finally paid for the season pass for the show on ITune.

I've just got through the first episode. Suffice it to say... it's boring. Yes, perhaps it would have been more interesting for a Johnny fan, but for someone who's reasonably familiar with his career I find the chronological coverage totally unsatisfactory, esp. when it glosses over so many major competions in Johnny's career, and leaves undiscussed things that would interest a fan like me. At times I thought there were a couple interesting moments (like what the Angels thought of him), but that lasted only a minute or two and the coverage went back to that Daily Weir timeline.

If only they'd pick one interesting angle and stick with it.

I'm not sure if I'd buy season 2. And if I do I won't get hidef. (That was a mistake.)

eta: The first episode must be the pop star on ice thing? It's 1.5 hour long

Ajax
03-07-2010, 06:30 PM
There is a very sweet outtake from BGJW where Galina is obviously really proud of him and Johnny is dabbing away her tears. It is adorable. Click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhxzKqDqQpk).

Aww that is very sweet. Thanks for posting it :) I don't think Galina and Johnny hate each other. They've been together for years now and I'm sure she has a good understanding of his character. She looked so happy and proud of him after his Olympic performances.

smileyskate
03-07-2010, 08:36 PM
IIt seemed rather cruel of Paris to just split when and how he did. What does he do anyhow? That's a pretty posh NY pad he's moved to, even if he does have roommates.

One thing could be a problem - what does Galina think of these comments Johnny is making about her off the ice? Surely she'll find out, if she hasn't already. He's called her a battleaxe, a (synonym for female dog) and other things he wouldn't dare say to her face. It could be the way the show is edited, but it seems that they really make each other miserable and dislike each other intensely, and the positive impact on Johnny's skating comes and goes. Fortunately, he had two great Olympic performances, even if the judges undermarked him. But I wonder how the future bodes for this coach-pupil relationship.

I would like to know what Paris' primary occupation is as well. There must be more to the story for him basically skipping out on Johnny with about 3 days turn around.
Also, not to start trouble, but why does Paris speak with that tone of voice and kind of dragging out his words? (Not sure how to put it).

It would be interesting to hear what Galina thinks of his on film comments, but perhaps she does not watch this program, or chooses not to let it bother her.

judiz
03-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Paris is originally from Georgia so he does have a bit of a southern accent. I think I read somewhere that Paris has a job in the real estate business now.

jlai
03-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Though I found the first episode a Weir story on fastforward, I gave the second episode a try, and it is a vast improvement to the first. The producer slows down enough to give each competition decent coverage, and there's enough behind-the-scene stuff to keep fans interested. I really like the side story on the Petrenko family disagreements on ice.

So on to the third episode. This one is all right, though it's more same-old same-old in terms of narrating pace and style. The 2009 nationals coverage also missed Abbott being the story and the USFSA tradition of sending nationals medalists to worlds, though this is understandable since this is a Weir story after all.

REO
03-08-2010, 05:16 AM
I know when Johnny still lived in Delaware he and Paaris also shared an apartment. I believe Paris' folks at one point told him if he didn't find employment he had to come home. I don't know this for a fact of course, but it seems like he kinda likes to sponge off Johnny and bask in his little bit of borrowed fame as the sidekick. Then again Johnny's a pretty sharp guy and I doubt he'd let himself be used, so impressions can be totally wrong.

centerstage01
03-08-2010, 05:19 AM
I loved Johnny's guest spot on The Soup this week. LOL He was hilarious giving Joel McHale the what-for.

HisWeirness
03-08-2010, 05:28 AM
photos of Johnny at Elton John's party (http://www.daylife.com/search/photos/1/grid?q=johnny+weir+elton)

Jayar
03-08-2010, 05:34 AM
When and WHY did Josh Childers start calling himself Paris? Good lord.

BigB08822
03-08-2010, 06:12 AM

Drag name? I know a few people who do drag and they kind of go by that name all the time amongst their friends. He seems like a person I would not want around, from the fake name to the suddenly moving out. I think he sponged off of Johnny as well and Johnny is probably a lot better off on his own.

judiz
03-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Paris and Johnny never shared an apartment in Delaware, Johnny always lived with his family. As a joke Johnny started calling Justin "Paris" and he started calling Johnny "Nicky" after the Hilton sisters.

REO
03-08-2010, 03:28 PM
I got the impression they did share an apartment in Delaware because I remember Johnny telling about how the upstairs neighbor had a fire and he and Paris put it out or some such tale. I think it was in his journal.

attyfan
03-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but Johnny was at Elton Joh
John's post-Oscar party:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35763623/ns/entertainment-movies

mmscfdcsu
03-08-2010, 04:22 PM

I thought it was Justin. :confused:

mmscfdcsu
03-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Drag name? I know a few people who do drag and they kind of go by that name all the time amongst their friends. He seems like a person I would not want around, from the fake name to the suddenly moving out. I think he sponged off of Johnny as well and Johnny is probably a lot better off on his own.

I sort of got in trouble a couple of years ago for wondering, Paris or parasite? :o