PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir: reality series and documentary premiering 5/24/09(merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Sasha is DIVINE
02-06-2010, 02:27 AM
I feel sad that Johnny probably spent an arm and a leg for David Wilson choreography only to have Galina change a lot of it. What a waste.

PEKINGMOO
02-06-2010, 03:54 AM
I feel sad that Johnny probably spent an arm and a leg for David Wilson choreography only to have Galina change a lot of it. What a waste.

IMO Galina has taken the "Johnny" out of Johnny Weir.

Galina trying to make Johnny more masculine, when he described himself as the best parts of a male skater combined with the best parts of a female skater. It was Johnny's androgynous on-ice presence that I first found fascinating. The pure strength of a man but the lightness and delicacy of a woman. I have to wonder if Galina demanding Johnny to be more powerful and masculine on ice has led to him losing that lightness he once had.

I found those few moments of Johnny working with David Wilson absolutely fascinating...and too bad most of has been stripped from the program.

Swishcicle
02-06-2010, 04:22 AM
Those were my thoughts exactly, Pekingmoo. I think Galina is a great coach for Johnny but I do question the level of her artistic sensibility. I think Johnny would be better off if Galina simply lays her hands off of his programs.

But I would never dare say that directly to Galina. She scares me. :scream:

VALuvsMKwan
02-06-2010, 05:36 AM
Those were my thoughts exactly, Pekingmoo. I think Galina is a great coach for Johnny but I do question the level of her artistic sensibility. I think Johnny would be better off if Galina simply lays her hands off of his programs.

But I would never dare say that directly to Galina. She scares me. :scream:

Ummm...isn't this the same woman who unleashed Baiul in the pink poodle costume "tapdancing" on ice? :eek:

Sorry -I don't question the level of her artistic sensibility. To me it is zero.

Nomad
02-06-2010, 06:04 AM
I liked Weir much better when he was with Priscilla Hill.

ninadel
02-06-2010, 10:26 AM
This is annoying. I am totally ready to shell out money to buy episodes on iTunes. Has there been an update to the previous announcement that said they'd be out Feb 1?

I am pretty handy at finding media through... ahem... less ethical means. I'm surprised that between sharing forums, youtube, torrents, rapidshare, etc.... we have nothing thus far! Well, with exception of that kind korean fan that uploaded the SBS broadcast of PSOI to tudou.

Sundance? Hello??

Edit: Found this on FSO's twitter:

We're now being told that "Be Good Johnny Weir" will be on iTunes starting Monday, Feb. 15. Not sure why it keeps getting pushed back...

HisWeirness
02-06-2010, 02:04 PM
^ Thanks for the update on the iTunes release. Like a good little uber I have been checking regularly and feeling :wall: like you have.

(ok, sometimes I wish there was an FSU emoticon for the whole shrug/questioning arms thing Johnny did after his free skate at 2008 US Nationals...because that is how I feel)

I have :bribe:!!!

museksk8r
02-06-2010, 03:34 PM

I think you may be on to something here. Galina does seem obsessive of demanding Johnny to skate more masculine-like on his reality show. His lightness on the ice started becoming missing in the 2006-2007 season before he joined Galina though. Actually, I think it's been missing since the disappointment of Torino 2006, to be honest. I personally don't think a skater should be fearful of questioning whether his coach is right or wrong. I think an open dialogue needs to be there to find what is most comfortable and what works the best for the skater's individual style. Johnny is an adult, after all. He seems to perceive Galina as an unwavering bulldog.

Cheylana
02-06-2010, 04:09 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Btw, this was my first exposure to Wilson, he was a hoot!

sk9tingfan
02-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Good on Paris for getting a job! They didn't mention the job thing on the show, did they? Goes to show you can't trust what they say on these reality shows, because they made it seem like he was just being a total flake, bailing on Johnny for no good reason!

FYI, he is exactly as he was portrayed in the episode. He bailed, giving Johnny absolutely no notice. It was one of those here today, gone tomorrow incidents.

shan
02-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Has this been discussed? Johnny singing karaoke on NBC Olympics.com. Its pretty funny!

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/assetid=18bd8bb5-1bf2-46c1-9d2c-3f443a461e60.html

IceAlisa
02-06-2010, 05:48 PM
I liked Weir much better when he was with Priscilla Hill.

Me too. Johnny was Johnny with Priscilla and skated some of his best programs with her. I felt so bad for her when Johnny left her. I think she was being too nice and maternal and Johnny needed a kick in the butt.

I watched Pop Star on Ice last night, stayed up until 2 am! So much fun. Johnny has a one in a lifetime talent but seems to be unable to realize it 100%. Reminds me of a certain female skater I admire. :sasha1:

I wonder why I am drawn to skaters like that...The real winners are not very often the most talented ones.

Brandi_DeLain
02-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Has this been discussed? Johnny singing karaoke on NBC Olympics.com. Its pretty funny!

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/assetid=18bd8bb5-1bf2-46c1-9d2c-3f443a461e60.html

It was posted in the "Latest Johnny Weir News & Quotes" thread, but it's epic enough to deserve a double post. :D

Johnny had this to say about it on Twitter :

Just found out that a karaoke video of me is on NBC Olympics website. Mortified. I cannot sing, and I will never claim to have talent. :)

:rofl:

shan
02-06-2010, 06:09 PM
I need to go read that discussion! I was :eek: that he sang Carrie Underwood more than how the actual singing was! Poor Johnny, at least he's a good sport.

judiz
02-06-2010, 07:09 PM
FYI, he is exactly as he was portrayed in the episode. He bailed, giving Johnny absolutely no notice. It was one of those here today, gone tomorrow incidents.

Well they are still friends so some stuff must had gone down that wasn't caught on film or was edited out.