PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir: reality series and documentary premiering 5/24/09(merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Octoberopals
02-02-2010, 09:34 PM
I've absolutely loved the Sundance shows on Johnny Weir. I've taped them all.

Does Paris work or anything like that? Or is he just Johnny's best friend?

spursfan4
02-02-2010, 09:43 PM
When will Johnny Weir's show be on ITunes. I am really anxious to see it,but I don't have the Sundance Channel.

sk9tingfan
02-02-2010, 10:09 PM
I don't think Evan came across badly either. His appearance almost has a comical aspect in the he has obviously been selected to play the stereotypical role of the villain.

You know, my current rep power indicates that I have seen what's under Evan's Speedo....God forbid!!!:eek: Leave that up to somone else (name to be determined)

casken
02-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Just watched it.

Moments that stood out to me.

- The triple lutz/ triple toe/ triple loop :wideeyes: The loop is such a unstable jump for him that I never imagined he would even bother attempting it as a combo even in practice, let alone have it look so good.
- The fact that Lambiel is in at all.
- The fact that Lambiel seems as awesome off ice as on.
- Johnny's comment about Joubert being born with abs and Joubert explaining how he likes to not have clothes on before a skate. :D
- Scott Hamilton just dying on the inside having to pretend he admires Weir.
- Evan's robotic rattling off of Frank Carol pre approved talking points.
- "And the uh...uh... Swiss guy?"
- Evan's face after he was done with his spiel and the reporter asked him if he didn't feel Weir was a good representative of the sport. "I didn't say that!"
- Priscilla Hill. She seems wonderful. Although I question whether her somewhat flighty personality is really the best for coaching. She doesn't seem like the type to lay down the law when necessary.

And just a few disappointments;

- I thought we would hear more from Weir on the tie at 2008 nationals, or medaling for the first time at worlds. It seems 2008 was just rushed through at the end.
- I wanted to hear a little more about the process of coming up with concepts and choosing music for his programs.
- I didn't really care to much about the fashion thing at the time, and I didn't really care about it here.
- I would have liked to have heard from a few more of Johhny's competitors.
- Seeing the picture of the top 3 at 2006 Nationals made me wonder what Matt Savoie felt at at the time about the whole Evan/Johnny drama. Although I'm sure he would just say something polite and analytical about it. :lol:

There was a lot to cover in a short amount of time, so things seemed rushed through. I would love to see a documentary just covering one season.

This definitely left me wanting to see more though. :watch:

Skittl1321
02-02-2010, 11:45 PM
How many episodes have aired? I think I've seen 2- but time has passed so quickly, were there more? (I also saw the 90 minute special)

harekrishna43
02-03-2010, 12:39 AM
Assuming yours is the same, go to free HD Showcase on-demand and you'll see Sundance in the menu. Hope it works for you. :)
I think your channel may be 699.

Thanks so much - I found it!

Helenista
02-03-2010, 12:53 AM
There have been 3 episodes so far. Go to Sundance Channel BE GOOD JOHNNY WEIR and you can see trailers for the next show...not sure if they are posting the ones that have already been shown.

Matryeshka
02-03-2010, 01:45 AM
IMO, like a lot of things on Be Good Johnny Weir, the rivalry between Evan and Johnny is very tongue-in-cheek (the heart-shaped one :rofl: ) and I think the skating-fan audience is supposed to be "in" on the joke of it. Loved how on I think the second episode it flashed up "archrival" on the screen, and it just struck me that someone who took it all that seriously wouldn't have that flashing up or the little grrrr that came after.

I think the majority of the episodes are going to focus on his journey to Vancouver, and I like that they didn't spend that much time on 2009 Worlds. We got to see just enough why he didn't make it and why it matters and his reaction--all the important stuff.

Not the biggest fan of Weir's skating or Weir's personality prior to this, but I'm really starting to like him and his Russian journalist alter ego. We use the same foundation, so I guess I'll have to root for him a little bit.

meggonzo
02-03-2010, 04:07 AM
It was supposed to be available yesterday (Feb 1), but I haven't found it yet. :( I haven't heard a reason yet for the delay.

Cheylana
02-03-2010, 04:37 AM
I was hoping they'd show Johnny and Evan forming their alliance. Maybe signing their names in blood and all that ;)

sk9tingfan
02-03-2010, 02:47 PM
How many episodes have aired? I think I've seen 2- but time has passed so quickly, were there more? (I also saw the 90 minute special)

There have only been 3 episodes aired with the inclusion of Popstar on Ice. I spoke to David Barba and James Pellerito at Nationals and they are up to their eyeballs in post production work (and exhausted), while still following Johnny. I saw them at Johnny's performance at the Ice Vault's Holiday show and at Nationals. They expect to be at the Olympics trying to get as much as they can.

When they were in Nagano, I used to run into them in the lobbies of their hotel (we were staying there as well) along with their Japanese crews on the ground and at the skaters' hotel. Much of their work is sit around and wait for something to happen; very difficult, and then jump up and try to capture meaningful footage.

While they were not picked up for best documentary for the Academy Awards, I hope that this show is recognized for an Emmy.

Charlini
02-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Episode 104 in now available on-demand!!!:rollin:

taylorfax
02-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Having seen the first episodes now, well, one thing that keeps sticking with me is that... Viacheslav Romanov is fierce. As a completely different entity than JWe. Judge me if you must. :drama:

museksk8r
02-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Johnny is so funny and so full of personality off the ice . . . sigh, if only these traits would come out in his competitive skating.

Frau Muller
02-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Episode 104 in now available on-demand!!!:rollin:

It is wonderful. Watched it last night. This episode takes Johnny through the late-spring/summer/early fall '09, as he does the summer Lake Placid show and prepares for his first G-P event, crafting new programs with David Wilson, who is a hoot!

Too bad about Paris leaving Johnny alone and Johnny having to move into a lower-rent apartment in his building. :violin:

The next episode should bring us up to date...or at least through the G-P finals, I am hoping. That leaves US Nationals 2010, then we would be caught-up to real time, with Johnny going to the Olympics!

BY THE WAY - As per Japanese Dance Magazine, the DVD of "Pop Star on Ice" is already available in Japan. Apologies if this has already been mentioned here.