PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir: reality series and documentary premiering 5/24/09(merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

BittyBug
02-02-2010, 05:04 PM
I am loving this series, although it was a little gut wrenching to see in last night's episode the depth of despair that Johnny went through last season. Still, one of the wonderful things about this series is the range of emotions that it reveals, and fortunately Johnny's struggles are juxtaposed with his crazy sense of humor (especially Viacheslav Romanov). And I'm also loving Galina and her tough love. "You need to die out there."

On related note, the contrast between the promos and the show itself is interesting. If I stopped at the promos, I'd think the show was totally over the top, but in context, most of those bits aren't nearly as outrageous as they would seem on their own.

Charlini
02-02-2010, 05:05 PM
This is the best darm reality show in ages. What a show! I am hoping that that Comast posts "Johnny Weir 104" (the 3rd of the 30-minute episodes) today. They usually go up on Comcast On-Demand about 6 days before the Monday airing on Sundance. The On-Demand ones I CAN record.

Time Warner Cable on-demand has the new episode available on Wednesdays. Can't wait...:inavoid:

igniculus
02-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Just saw a couple of new clips on the series' website. Seriously, he skates around in underwear? PML! :rofl:

SLIVER
02-02-2010, 06:16 PM
I am completely lost, is it a series (how many episodes) or is it a film?? Be Good Johnny or Pop Star on Ice? Whoever is in charge of the P.R sucks lol! Finally wasn't it meant to be available on itunes? Nothing yet there...

sk9tingfan
02-02-2010, 06:18 PM
I am completely lost, is it a series (how many episodes) or is it a film?? Be Good Johnny or Pop Star on Ice? Whoever is in charge of the P.R sucks lol! Finally wasn't it meant to be available on itunes? Nothing yet there...

The first episode is an hour and half long and is the original Popstar on Ice documentary. The subsequent 7 episodes are half hour segments.

ryanbfan
02-02-2010, 06:26 PM
As usual, we can thank asian skating fans:

Pop Star On Ice
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/95XWOwJetqs/

Hopefully other episodes will come up in time...

Thanks for the link!! yayyy :)

Taso
02-02-2010, 06:29 PM
I wish Weir was one ounce as interesting on the ice as off. This show is actually really interesting and so well done! The Polish lady was definitely the highlight for me though :D

BittyBug
02-02-2010, 06:47 PM
D'oh - I forgot to mention that one of the things I love most about the series is all the footage of Johnny in training, especially the closeups of his feet (which we rarely get in competition footage). His edges and flow are breathtaking. :swoon:

SLIVER
02-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks sk9tingfan, it was all v confusing!

ninadel
02-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Okay, after just watching the documentary online a few comments.

First, I was relieved and delighted that this is a really well made film. I liked how they explained the competitive skating season just in case casual watchers assumed skating only happens once every four years. The tension and drama comes primarily from the skating itself, not just trash-talking rivalry blah blah blah, although it was good to conclude with the bizarre nationals tie and the split with Priscilla.

Second, Evan seems cast as the villain here, and I don't think the editors had to work very hard as he's naturally quite dirty looking and hollow sounding ala Derek Zoolander. Not to mention his creepy intensity such as the fist-clenching pose at the end of Tosca. Like everyone I used to like Evan when he was younger, but he just irks me now.

Third, my top LOL moment was the Brian clip, especially when they showed his skating and I couldn't for the life of me identify what the program was, as they are all pretty much the same.

harekrishna43
02-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Time Warner Cable on-demand has the new episode available on Wednesdays. Can't wait...:inavoid:

I haven't been able to find Sundance On Demand on my Time Warner system - I seem to have everything else On Demand - any suggestions? I'm in NYC - Northern Manhattan

Charlini
02-02-2010, 07:57 PM
I haven't been able to find Sundance On Demand on my Time Warner system - I seem to have everything else On Demand - any suggestions? I'm in NYC - Northern Manhattan

Assuming yours is the same, go to free HD Showcase on-demand and you'll see Sundance in the menu. Hope it works for you. :)
I think your channel may be 699.

Megi
02-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Just watched the movie and liked it a lot, very well done. :respec:

And I don't think it portrays Evan in negative light at all. Maybe it's just me though. :shuffle:

BittyBug
02-02-2010, 09:15 PM
I don't think Evan came across badly either. His appearance almost has a comical aspect in the he has obviously been selected to play the stereotypical role of the villain.

ninadel
02-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Right, I didn't mean to suggest that they were trying to portray Evan as an evil Tonya or anything. But obviously he's there as a foil to contrast with Johnny and his look and mannerisms resemble some parody of a villain.