PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir: reality series and documentary premiering 5/24/09(merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

museksk8r
01-20-2010, 07:07 PM
I don't want to get off topic but I don't see what is so awful about this statement. He just won his first national title and was very excited. What is so wrong with that?

Nothing wrong at all with what he said . . . it's more the tone in which Evan said it. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't stand to hear the guy speak in that "I'm superior, better than thou" tone of his, like he showed during the 2007 Nationals press conferences. It's the same tone he used when telling reporters that he carries/conducts himself and represents the USFSA better than other skaters (i.e. Johnny). Am I delirious? I can't be the only one who picks up on his tone.

pairsskater
01-20-2010, 07:28 PM
I don't want to get off topic but I don't see what is so awful about this statement. He just won his first national title and was very excited. What is so wrong with that? Meanwhile Weir was rolling his eyes... which was funny but let's be real. At least Evan didn't say at the last Olympics that Elene Gedevanishvili had more maturity in her little finger than Kimmie Meissner could ever hope to have (or something like that).

There really wasn't anything wrong about it...it's just that he was babbling a bit and the camera caught Johnny, who took full advantage of the moment. It was funny. Actually, I was worried that Evan would come off badly in the movie but am happy to say he didn't. He was himself. He has a midwestern-monotone and a bit of arrogance, that's all.

But you'll have to remind all of us about the statement that Elene has more maturity...etc, because I'm a longtime fan of Johnny's and remember the OI segments very well. Yes, I remember him talking about both skaters but do not remember any comparison like that. In fact, he said complementary things about every lady. He did mention something about Kimmie, maybe needing to mature (as a skater) a bit. Then later, I recall thinking well, Johnny she's now the World Champion, do you still think she needs to mature? Sadly, he was probably right. He predicted Elene might win in 2010, and that's not going to happen.

Cheylana
01-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Nothing wrong at all with what he said . . . it's more the tone in which Evan said it. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't stand to hear the guy speak in that "I'm superior, better than thou" tone of his, like he showed during the 2007 Nationals press conferences. It's the same tone he used when telling reporters that he carries/conducts himself and represents the USFSA better than other skaters (i.e. Johnny). Am I delirious? I can't be the only one who picks up on his tone.
I guess we'll just have to disagree because I didn't hear anything wrong with the tone. It just sounded, to me, like the same tone we always hear from Evan - kinda monotone actually :lol:. But then again I like football, and compared to football players Johnny, Evan and Jeremy's comments combined wouldn't even register on the cocky-meter!

Cheylana
01-20-2010, 09:51 PM
But you'll have to remind all of us about the statement that Elene has more maturity...etc, because I'm a longtime fan of Johnny's and remember the OI segments very well. Yes, I remember him talking about both skaters but do not remember any comparison like that. In fact, he said complementary things about every lady. He did mention something about Kimmie, maybe needing to mature (as a skater) a bit. Then later, I recall thinking well, Johnny she's now the World Champion, do you still think she needs to mature? Sadly, he was probably right. He predicted Elene might win in 2010, and that's not going to happen.
I'll try to dig around, although I'm not sure if any of that stuff is on YouTube. It was some relatively brief interview with Johnny after his event was done, so it must have been OI. He wasn't there for the ladies SP or FS, was he? I recall him raving about Elene - totally fine - and then he threw in the comment comparing her to Kimmie that I mentioned above. Of course I'm paraphrasing but I remember being annoyed because Kimmie was just a little kid. I'll try to dig it up lest I be seen as slandering Johnny.

lizny
01-21-2010, 02:17 AM
I loved the bit where he was working with Galina. "You can repeat Lutz again, my friend. ... What is a Lutz? it has three revolutions" :rofl:

topaz
01-21-2010, 05:17 AM
I enjoyed the first episode too. A few things I felt:

1. Priscilla could not take take JW to the next level. The fact that she admitted that she did not know what to do to assist him with calming him in the Olympic LP was just so sad, but truthful. It was a new experience for her and she didn't have the experience to help him through it.

2. I like Priscilla, she has a great sense of humor; JW and her had a parent/child relationship.

3. JW's sense of humor is wonderful, he's able to make fun of himself and I love Paris.

4. Evan is nimrod. His remark about he gained experience from the older competitors, Plushenko and the "Swiss Guy". SWISS GUY. HE CAN'T REMEMBER STEPHANE LAMBIEL. HOLY LAWD.

Cheylana
01-21-2010, 05:45 PM
A couple of years ago, Johnny was asked what pairs he liked, and he mentioned "the one with the black guy." Just sayin.

ETA: Not a slam on Johnny. Everyone blanks on names when being interviewed!

ETA: Link attached. http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2005/weir2.shtml

Cupid
01-22-2010, 01:28 AM
A couple of years ago, Johnny was asked what pairs he liked, and he mentioned "the one with the black guy." Just sayin.

ETA: Not a slam on Johnny. Everyone blanks on names when being interviewed!

ETA: Link attached. http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2005/weir2.shtml

Yes, BUT -- they were not of the same discipline.

libby
01-22-2010, 02:07 AM
Not to mention that Johnny's interview was from 2005, when Savchenko & Szolkowy were not yet well-known - they wouldn't win any big championships for another two years.

Lambiel was already very well-known when Evan made his comment in 2006 - he was the Olympic silver medalist and the reigning, two-time World Champion at the time.

Cheylana
01-22-2010, 08:13 AM
S&S were well known enough. They lit up the GP circuit that season, and Johnny certainly knew enough to comment on Aliona's "orange-ness." But this is a Johnny thread, ergo Evan is :EVILLE: so be it.

BittyBug
01-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Let's not forget as well that leading up the '06 OLYs, when asked who potential podium contenders might be, Plushenko also mentioned "the Swiss guy."

igniculus
01-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Maybe Stephane likes to be referred to as "the Swiss guy". :P

JustJolie
01-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Lambiel was already very well-known when Evan made his comment in 2006 - he was the Olympic silver medalist and the reigning, two-time World Champion at the time.

Plus, Lysacek and Lambiel had been on the COI tour together the previous summer.

meggonzo
01-26-2010, 02:17 AM
Has anyone been able to get Johnny's show on iTunes yet? I can't find it.

HisWeirness
01-26-2010, 04:00 AM
Has anyone been able to get Johnny's show on iTunes yet? I can't find it.
Me neither. I keep checking the Sundance Channel section every couple of hours...:(