PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir: reality series and documentary premiering 5/24/09(merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

maatTheViking
06-26-2009, 05:36 PM
I saw it at teh Seattel International Film Festival, which is a general festival. It was listed as both documentary and Gay/Lesbian, but I feel it would fit fine in any film festival that has documentaries.

From a non FS point of view, it is a really good documentary, well made. Johnny is a great subject, but it also sheds an interesting light on the sport, being an athlete, and being an outspoken and 'don't fit the mold' guy, besides the sexuality topic.

pairsskater
06-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks, I guess I'll also try the Chicago Intl Film Fest.

elanor
06-26-2009, 06:26 PM
The film will be shown close to my place and I was thinking about going to see it. How much of the film is actually about skating? I'm not very interested in watching skaters in bath or doing shopping and I'm not that big Johnny fan to watch just for the story, it's pretty known (as much as his interviews :)). But I'm very interested in skating as a process and how it affects the skaters, their families, fans, and so on.
Besides, just watching skating on big screen with good sound quality must be awsome but if it's only 20 minutes I can wait for some videos.

sk9tingfan
06-26-2009, 06:33 PM
The film will be shown close to my place and I was thinking about going to see it. How much of the film is actually about skating? I'm not very interested in watching skaters in bath or doing shopping and I'm not that big Johnny fan to watch just for the story, it's pretty known (as much as his interviews :)). But I'm very interested in skating as a process and how it affects the skaters, their families, fans, and so on.
Besides, just watching skating on big screen with good sound quality must be awsome but if it's only 20 minutes I can wait for some videos.

Go, go, go! It's a great documentary on what elite figure skating is all about. I overheard Victor Petrenko who was at the New York Premiere enthusiastically complimenting David Barba and James Pellerito about how this film really captures the essence of an elite figure skater. Of course, you could always wait for it to be shown on the The Sundance Channel, but as you know, films often look different on the big screen.

star_gazer11
06-26-2009, 09:30 PM
I saw it at teh Seattel International Film Festival, which is a general festival. It was listed as both documentary and Gay/Lesbian, but I feel it would fit fine in any film festival that has documentaries.

Exactly why I got excited and suggested VIFF to the producers - the Vancouver Film Fest has a strong documentary section. That and, um, the selfish reason that I'd be much more likely to see it in person. :D

judiz
06-30-2009, 01:58 AM
www.lifeskate.com has another short interview with Johnny, his mom and Paris done the night of the New York premiere. By the way, any FSUers go to the show in San Francisco?

reut
06-30-2009, 05:29 PM
elanor, I'm not that big fan of Johnny's either. But me personally I'm really sorry I don't have a chance to see this documentary on the big screen. It's also "skating on the big screen", also all that backstage footage and stories you almost never have a chance to see. For me all this is super-interesting and I'm really looking forward to see at least some video sooner or later. Is there any date for the release of the DVD, by the way?

elanor
06-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks for advice, I will try to go. Maybe the trailer didn't look that promising, it's quite a trip to go but skating on big screen and backstage footage is too tempting. I think DVD will be in the fall?

HisWeirness
07-02-2009, 05:01 AM
FYI: Popstar on Ice soundtrack is now available on iTunes:

Giovanni Spinelli's brilliant music for our film POP STAR ON ICE is now available on iTunes! You can buy the whole album or individual tracks

igniculus
07-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Damn! No iTunes store available in my country! :wall:

DreamSkates
07-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Seems it would be advisable to lay low and put your total focus on becoming the next Olympic champion, if that is what you want above all else. Otherwise some of these activities only bring attention (possibly money). That will not put you on the podium at the Olympics. Yes, figure skaters need to earn enough money for training, etc., but if you share your time and energy with things other than training and preparation, then those distractions will be your downfall.
Signed, the prophet of Johnny's doom.
(please don't take the above statement too seriously; I think Johnny has immense talent but he is selling himself short. If he wants to be world or olympic champion then you've got to be totally together and put all your effort toward that end. He seems often distracted away from that goal.)

Brandi_DeLain
07-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Here's a nice review from the San Francisco screening: http://jumpingclappingman.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/pop-star-on-ice-the-castro-theatre/

Excerpt:

When my friend booked my ticket to “Pop Star on Ice” at the San Francisco International LGBT Film Festival, I knew the flick would dish up plenty of bitchy humor and celeb-style entertainment, and figured it would reveal Johnny Weir as a fascinating, but also superficial and narcissistic personality. Instead, he thankfully comes out looking disarmingly and utterly real, complex, insanely and innately gifted, and truly one-of-a-kind. And, the documentary itself is a beautifully, lovingly crafted piece, telling the story of his life, not just serving to frivolously entertain, but also to enlighten and inspire.

igniculus
07-03-2009, 04:35 PM
What a wonderful review! Masses need to see this film ASAP!

invchamber
07-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Damn! No iTunes store available in my country! :wall:

The soundtrack for Pop Star On Ice is now also available on Amazon, Rhapsody, Napster and Limewire. You can purchase the whole album or any track individually. Just search for "Pop Star On Ice" or "Giovanni Spinelli"

Hope that helps...

igniculus
07-06-2009, 03:28 PM
The soundtrack for Pop Star On Ice is now also available on Amazon, Rhapsody, Napster and Limewire. You can purchase the whole album or any track individually. Just search for "Pop Star On Ice" or "Giovanni Spinelli"

Hope that helps...

But are these sites/programs (whatever they are) available worldwide? Because at Amazon, the album was restricted to US citizens only.