PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir: reality series and documentary premiering 5/24/09(merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

pairsskater
06-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Johnny gave a long, great response and really maintained eye contact (he's amazing at doing that when talking to people...something I've noticed)

I've noticed it, too, when I've met Johnny (and watched him with fans) that he's very focused on the person he's meeting or talking to, and it makes a very positive impression.

Great info about the film! You guys are lucky!

I have a few questions....what do you mean when he said "it's all for the children"? You mean Johnny was referring to homophobia in the US skating is because of children? I'm not following.

Also...I wondered if the film had edited clips of Evan and portrayed him unfavorably (as has often happened to Johnny when all we hear of a press-conference is "vodka shot" "cocaine" and "feather boa"). But from the way you describe it, it sounds like he was just filmed --and it highlights their differences.

Thank you both for your great descriptions of the movie. Sounds like it was way worth the $50. I'm a frustrated mid-westerner who has to get on a plane to see the movie --or wait.

seafoam
06-12-2009, 07:02 AM
Thanks so much for the reviews/reports! It sounds amazing.

Got my tickets to see in on the 27th at the Castro in SF :cheer: I'm taking a friend who really doesn't follow figure skating or knows who Johnny is, so it will be interesting to get her take on it.

virtud1984
06-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Groshkova.... I think you were sitting in my row. I really liked your question and Johnny's answer was awesome.

Louis + Groshkova, awesome reviews. Couldn't have done it better myself :)

Just wanted to add... I had a chance to talk to Johnny at the after party (took pictures, etc.) and he said he was very excited to work with Diva David on his new programs... and added "Watch out!!" LOL... he's so sweet. I said that I was very excited to see what they both could come up with. Johnny shared that Sasha is most likely going to go back to David for choreography as well! Cant wait :)

Quintuple
06-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Oh, it's gonna play the Castro? Ach, I'll go!

Groshkova
06-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Groshkova.... I think you were sitting in my row. I really liked your question and Johnny's answer was awesome.

Louis + Groshkova, awesome reviews. Couldn't have done it better myself :)

Just wanted to add... I had a chance to talk to Johnny at the after party (took pictures, etc.) and he said he was very excited to work with Diva David on his new programs... and added "Watch out!!" LOL... he's so sweet. I said that I was very excited to see what they both could come up with. Johnny shared that Sasha is most likely going to go back to David for choreography as well! Cant wait :)

I was wearing a blue 'Don't Hate, Appreciate! T-Shirt. I was with two of 'the boys who score' in case you know them. One of them was bawling throughout the film...rather loudly.

I believe Susan from Lifeskate was there. I didn't see her, but I did think I heard her ask the final question.

The 'for the children' remark was just a common joke about everything being 'for the children'...which was relevant because they included many questions from reporters about...do you think you're a good role model for kids? What message do you send to kids? etc

They didn't do any noticeable editing with Evan. They just played his Q+A's with reporters.

Paris deserves his own fan club and Angels after his performance in that film.

This film/series deserves to be on Bravo at the least. Perhaps Sundance can sell it to them to rerun. Johnny and Paris would be HUGE ICONS if it was shown in theaters everywhere or on TV.

Apparently the only staged scene was Johnny and Paris in the bathtub.

The producers did say that they refer to Johnny as HRH.

I am really curious as to what his relationship with Priscilla is like at the moment after seeing the film.

Johnny did a hilarious impression of Galina coaching and Viktor and Nina Petrenko were both dying.

igniculus
06-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Johnny says he thinks Joubert was born with a six pack.

I'm not familiar with that phrase. What does that mean?

Just wanted to add... I had a chance to talk to Johnny at the after party (took pictures, etc.)

OMG, will you share please? :swoon:

The producers did say that they refer to Johnny as HRH.

I don't know HRH either. What's that?

judiz
06-12-2009, 11:37 AM
[QUOTE=Groshkova;2275447]Someone asked the filmmakers what they thought of the skating world. Johnny said that they became exposed to the skating world, which 'Skating is just one big crack house with rhinestones and glitter.'

What exactly did Johnny mean by this? I can just see some people shaking their heads and going "oh, no not another drug reference"

Pikku Myy
06-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Interview (http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090611/COMMUNITIES1001/90611042/Wilmington-Native-Featured-in-Film-Documentary) with Johnny's former personal trainer, Caroleanne Leone, in Delaware online.

I'm not familiar with that phrase. What does that mean?

If someone has six pack, it means he has well trained stomach muscles. :)

pairsskater
06-12-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't know HRH either. What's that?

HRH = His Royal Highness :glamor:

care
06-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks Groshkova, Louis and virtud1984! :cheer2:

Johnny was asked about the Skate Canada/Elvis Stojko comments.

He said 'The man who said that is someone who I used to watch on TV. He skated in purple pajamas to the Bruce Lee soundtrack with Karate moves. I'm not going to open a can of pork and beans on the ice.'

:rofl::rofl: Woke me up this morning!

The documentary provides a definitive answer to my question -- hell no! The various adventures (and misadventures) Johnny has had in the sport are themselves legendary, probably more than any Olympic medal would have been. Throughout the film, it struck me as especially wonderful that this "diva" seems as comfortable with people from his working-class roots as he is walking down a New York fashion runway. The natural, easy flow from one universe to another can only happen when you're grounded in who you are. And maybe Johnny Weir is not an Olympic medalist or World Champion, but the time spent building his uniquely outrageous divadom were years well spent. He has certainly perfected the art.

Well said, as always! :)

Just wanted to add... I had a chance to talk to Johnny at the after party (took pictures, etc.) and he said he was very excited to work with Diva David on his new programs... and added "Watch out!!" LOL... he's so sweet.

:cool: Please share your pictures!

care bear
06-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Thank you for reports!
Stojko as Bruce Lee (LP 1994) was in black with some gold on his shoulders.

Wyliefan
06-12-2009, 01:25 PM
The audience was laughing hysterically at Evan Lysacek during the movie because of how fake he comes across. This wasn't editing---it is just shots of him talking to reporters and at press conferences saying contrived and rehearsed statements in a monotone way. (He has really worked at eliminating the queeniness from his from since 2006.)

He basically is a combo of a giant tool and a supreme d-bag.

That's rather sad. Evan's hardly the only skater who's ever used canned answers; it's too bad they had to make him look bad.

pairsskater
06-12-2009, 01:38 PM
That's rather sad. Evan's hardly the only skater who's ever used canned answers; it's too bad they had to make him look bad.

He said what he said. Just like Johnny. I'd need to see the movie to see if the intention was "to make him look bad". When statements are edited out...and together, etc., it does look like someone is intentionally shown in a negative light. But if they're filmed without editing, just speaking during a press conference, or interview, it's less contrived.

Perhaps I'm wrong..but I'm thinking it's highlighting their differences, with a bit of humor thown in. If anyone's ever said stuff that's been criticized---it's Johnny.

igniculus
06-12-2009, 02:02 PM
If someone has six pack, it means he has well trained stomach muscles. :)

Thank you!

HRH = His Royal Highness :glamor:

PML! :lol: :rofl: :swoon:
Thanks!

azskatefan
06-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Life Skate (http://www.lifeskate.com) was there! Can't wait to see what Susan got.