PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir: reality series and documentary premiering 5/24/09(merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

HisWeirness
06-03-2009, 05:39 PM
More news:

For a preview of the original soundtrack album for Pop Star On Ice, visit http://virb.com/giopoprock

The original soundtrack, written and performed by Giovanni Spinelli, also features the theme rap song "My Moment" sung by John MackEnflow (music by Spinelli, lyrics by Sneaky Pete), and bonus "inspired by" tracks sung by Lindsay Campbell and Katy Cunningham.

The soundtrack will soon be available on Itunes and Amazon.

Sylvia
06-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Here's Variety's review of "Pop Star on Ice" (http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117940452.html?categoryid=31&cs=1).

Sparks
06-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Great review!
Thanks Sylvia.

care
06-11-2009, 01:32 AM
Thanks Sylvia! :D

virtud1984
06-11-2009, 07:33 AM
i'll be at the New Fest premiere as well! There is a party afterwards I believe... I hope certain people show up! ;-) I'm sooo excited.

igniculus
06-11-2009, 08:39 AM
I love the new review!

I don't think anyone needs to know if I'm sleeping with Sienna Miller or Orlando Bloom."

:rofl: :swoon:

sk9tingfan
06-11-2009, 01:59 PM
i'll be at the New Fest premiere as well! There is a party afterwards I believe... I hope certain people show up! ;-) I'm sooo excited.

I'll be there too!

HisWeirness
06-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Have fun all of you going to the NYC premiere tonight! :nopryde: I'm so jealous and happy for you! :cheer:

Bring back :kickass: reports and pictures!!!! :glamor:

igniculus
06-11-2009, 05:30 PM
JohnJohn will be there too, so be sure to report all the voids! :cheer2:

reut
06-11-2009, 08:40 PM
icenetwork.com promises exclusive reports from the premiere:
http://twitter.com/icenetwork/statuses/2119697807

igniculus
06-11-2009, 09:19 PM
How awesome! They even promise videos! :swoon:

Groshkova
06-12-2009, 05:35 AM
The premiere was amazing. The film is so well done. Here are my comments:

The film is simply amazing, for fans and non-fans alike. Most of the people in the audience were film students. The film is beautiful, moving, hysterical and so well done graphically. They do a really cool thing with a timeline and use flashbacks, but it all makes sense.

Johnny is great, but Paris is an absolute riot. They were both at the premiere...it was great. Johnny really comes across like a nice person. He is just lovable in there. The shots they have of him are great.

The audience was laughing hysterically at Evan Lysacek during the movie because of how fake he comes across. This wasn't editing---it is just shots of him talking to reporters and at press conferences saying contrived and rehearsed statements in a monotone way. (He has really worked at eliminating the queeniness from his from since 2006.)

He basically is a combo of a giant tool and a supreme d-bag. Johnny never is asked about him, nor does he say anything about Evan in the film. The filmmakers did a good job of capturing how he comes across to many people. He was talking about how "If I was National Champion, I'd take that seriously and be a good embodiment of what a National Champion from America is.' The reporter then asks him if that means Johnny isn't. He gives a snide 'I didn't say that, what he does is his own business. I'm way different than that.'

They also have a great shot of Johnny at the press conference after Evan won. Lysacek is droning on about 'all this knowledge I'm gained and using that knowledge and blah blah blah'---(getting lost in his own blather the way Palin does when she is grasping) and Johnny is looking down and looks up for a second and meets eyes with his filmmakers who have a perfect closeup of him looking like he wants to die.

I went with two skating fan friends and one was absolutely bawling during Johnny's 2007 Nationals performance and when he leaves Priscilla. Many people were wiping their eyes when he won Nationals in 2004. It is a really nice moment in the film.

There was a Q+A afterwards:

The 8-part series will begin in January right before the Olympics.

Johnny was asked about the Skate Canada/Elvis Stojko comments.

He said 'The man who said that is someone who I used to watch on TV. He skated in purple pajamas to the Bruce Lee soundtrack with Karate moves. I'm not going to open a can of pork and beans on the ice.'

Someone asked the filmmakers what they thought of the skating world. Johnny said that they became exposed to the skating world, which 'Skating is just one big crack house with rhinestones and glitter.'

I asked Johnny a two-part question about whether he thinks there is a lot of internalized homophobia among the gay members who run the USFSA, the judges, coaches, etc...and if he noticed a difference in the attitudes of the European and Asian cultures. This was on the heels of comments from Paris about how the press makes such a big deal about masculinity and femininity in men's skating...but what is the difference, where is the line and who cares? (Remember, this is an LGBT festival. Johnny, Paris and the filmmakers were clearly out and proud.)

Johnny gave a long, great response and really maintained eye contact (he's amazing at doing that when talking to people...something I've noticed) He spoke about how a lot of these judges and members of the federation, though they may be gay, grew up in a different generation when it wasn't okay to be out and free and perhaps that is where a lot of their internalized homophobia stems from. He said that people in Europe and Asia seem to appreciate art and beauty for beauty's sake, while in the US everyone is preoccupied about "Well, what does this mean? What is this saying?" Johnny also said, remember...it all goes back to the children. It's for the children.

Viktor and Nina Petrenko were there with their daughter. Richie Rich from Heatherette was also there.

I'll post more as I remember it. It was worth the $50.

Louis
06-12-2009, 06:22 AM
Truly fantastic documentary! :respec:

The film opens with Johnny reading, in hilarious fake accents, all the things that have been said about him over the years. I half expected the camera to cut to him reading FSU, and specifically to my posts for some of more negative items. :shuffle:

I first saw Johnny live at 1998 Novice Nationals, where he barely cleared the boards, and was a strong supporter through most of his early years. I remember proudly breaking the news of his first clean triple axel at 2000 Mid-Atlantics, held just a few blocks from where the film was shown, and accurately predicting he would take the World Junior title.

Somewhere along the way, he lost me. As Priscilla Hill says over and over during the film, "the talent is there," but the dedication started to become questionable post-2002. Many times I have wondered aloud on this very board whether Johnny would live to regret that he spent his prime competitive years being a diva instead of fulfilling his skating potential.

The documentary provides a definitive answer to my question -- hell no! The various adventures (and misadventures) Johnny has had in the sport are themselves legendary, probably more than any Olympic medal would have been. Throughout the film, it struck me as especially wonderful that this "diva" seems as comfortable with people from his working-class roots as he is walking down a New York fashion runway. The natural, easy flow from one universe to another can only happen when you're grounded in who you are. And maybe Johnny Weir is not an Olympic medalist or World Champion, but the time spent building his uniquely outrageous divadom were years well spent. He has certainly perfected the art.

The film has received rave reviews, both in terms of publications and general people on the street/people at the after party. Even my self-avowed "skating-hating" significant other found the film hilarious and engaging. It's easy to see why. Amidst all the drama, hilarity, spectacles, and oddball people-places-and-things, there is a skinny, sparkly boy who is unapologetically real.

If you have the chance, go see the film! Bravissimo to David Barba and James Pellerito!

Groshkova
06-12-2009, 06:44 AM
Louis, did you stay for the Q+A? I nearly died when Johnny imitated the diva stare down he and Paris gave each other when Paris first moved to Delaware and they hated one another.

Groshkova
06-12-2009, 06:46 AM
Was it known that Joubert likes to walk around backstage shirtless, with as little on as possible before he competes? That bit was hilarious.

Johnny says he thinks Joubert was born with a six pack.