PDA

View Full Version : Figure skating related Twitters

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33

OlieRow
12-08-2009, 07:05 PM
I thought one of the reasons behind dropping the CD at the Olympics was trying to minimize costs? What better way to do that than add a team event. *rolls eyes*

shan
12-09-2009, 03:08 AM
I thought one of the reasons behind dropping the CD at the Olympics was trying to minimize costs? What better way to do that than add a team event. *rolls eyes*

true, it doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

newbatgirl
12-09-2009, 03:10 AM
true, it doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

Of course it doesn't because that's likely not the reason. The reason they want to dump the CDs is because they're boring for the audience. A team event would presumably sell more advertising.

azskatefan
12-09-2009, 04:41 AM
I'd like to see a team event in skating, even if that means dumping the CDs. I don't see CDs adding to much value to the Games as a whole. Maybe the CDs make the difference between bronze and fourth but they rarely make a difference elsewhere in the standing in most (NOT ALL - ask Tanith/Ben) competitions. With a team event, even if it was just overall scores from the countries top performers, would produce more medalists and IMO, advance skating in countries outside the power houses. If a struggling nation, or maybe one less advanced and endowed than the US, I think they put more money into events where athletes can win multiple medals - skating takes so much money just for one medal.

casken
12-09-2009, 04:50 AM
The team events would certainly warrant a higher ticket price than CDs, more general interest, and more ratings.

It went over so well this year in Japan, I could see why they would do it.

stjeaskategym
12-09-2009, 09:21 AM
A team event would give the athletes additional chances to compete and win medals. Skating is one of the only main Olympic sports where so few medals are rewarded. I really love the idea of a team event and hope it happens!

OlieRow
12-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Oh, I thought team = synchro... How would this work? Would they compete again as a team or do the results from the singles/pairs/dance events would count towards team totals?

modern_muslimah
12-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Oh, I thought team = synchro... How would this work? Would they compete again as a team or do the results from the singles/pairs/dance events would count towards team totals?

It sounds like the ISU wants have a team event similar to the WTT. I actually like the idea although I don't like that the CD has to be cut for it.

nylynnr
12-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Cinquanta said in his press conference at the Grand Prix Final that a team event would make sense as the first figure skating event, and would not require the addition of too many more athletes, since most of the participants would already be at the Games for their individual events. (I'm guessing the IOC wants to keep ladies as the final event, because it's so popular.) He added he did not want to give up the exhibition, either.

Hard to see how this will fly, because athletes likely will not wish to tire themselves out competing prior to their individual events.

sap5
12-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Cinquanta said in his press conference at the Grand Prix Final that a team event would make sense as the first figure skating event, and would not require the addition of too many more athletes, since most of the participants would already be at the Games for their individual events. (I'm guessing the IOC wants to keep ladies as the final event, because it's so popular.) He added he did not want to give up the exhibition, either.

Hard to see how this will fly, because athletes likely will not wish to tire themselves out competing prior to their individual events.

I'd rather see the team event last than first. What if a skater injures him/herself in the team event?

Of course, I'd really rather see CDs stay, but that looks to be out of the question.

Sylvia
12-09-2009, 07:07 PM

FYI, I've started a separate thread on this topic in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69777

haejin14
12-11-2009, 01:21 AM
AlexShibutani:

また 二本に いきたいです。これからも マイアと 一緒に がんばります!

Can somebody translate this? What does it mean! I do not know my Japanese. :confused:

RD
12-11-2009, 01:33 AM
AlexShibutani:

Can somebody translate this? What does it mean! I do not know my Japanese. :confused:

While you wait for a real translator, here's what Babelfish came up with

"I also like to book two. Maia Ganbarimasu with the good work!"

Whatever that means.

snapple
12-11-2009, 01:33 AM
AlexShibutani:

I think it means 'Want to go to Japan again. From now on, together Maia and I will do our best!'

Or something like that. ;) Hopefully.

mkats
12-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Yup, that's pretty much it :)