PDA

View Full Version : Figure skating related Twitters

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Indra486
06-29-2009, 02:35 AM
I highly doubt that skaters only know about figure skating forums because FSU posters are telling them. These are intelligent, modern young people - they are aware that there are discussion forums for every subject on the internet, and if they choose to read them, that is their business.

I do agree with you but even so, I really don't think people should be naming specific forums. I believe Emily Hughes wasn't recently told of FSU and I definitely don't think she should be venturing over here.

psycho
06-29-2009, 06:21 AM
Because I post my OPINIONS on people's skating? Its not like I post about people being useless, worthless, waste of space piece of crap human beings. I post my personal views on skating, like everyone else here does. I may not like Caroline's skating, or her attitude, but I've never made comments about her like she made of the police who, in the end, turned out not to be so useless after all.

So let me get it straight, you are allowed to comment on people's skating and attitude, assesing their performances at their jobs. Yet Caroline is not allowed to make an assessment of the police's performance while doing their jobs? I don't see where she calls them "waste of space piece of crap human beings". That's your interpretation. And a very far fetched one at that!:lol:

I am so often amazed by the complete lack of self-awareness people often display when zealosly scolding others at what is "appropriate" and "mature" :lol:

RD
06-29-2009, 06:42 AM
Caroline's twitter is now LOCKED!

See now, I'm inclined to believe that Caroline found her way to FSU because a member had mentioned it to her and read the criticisms about her police comment because she was certainly apologizing for them. For the record, I do agree with the comments about immaturity.

And so, lord, STOP TELLING THESE SKATERS ABOUT THESE FORUMS! Let's face it, skaters are humans first and foremost. Some can take the criticism and some can't, especially with the trolling. As a suggestion, when tweeting with the skaters, follow the Fight Club rule and not talk about it.

COULDN'T. AGREE. MORE.

But she doesn't have to have visited FSU- people may have just sent her comments about it (her apologies were in response to said folks, not a "public tweet"). I really wish that posters would not mention the general skating forums (FSU, GS, the like) to the skaters. It's for their own sake guys. If the skater has a dedicated fan forum, however, I think it's ok to mention that to her.

I agree though that if it (FSU) was mentioned enough to her, curiosity might have gotten the better of her and she sneaked a peek. :(

Karpenko
06-29-2009, 09:51 AM
ugh, I can't believe how seriously people took that one simple statement she said out of frustration. She's been apologizing and clarifying what she meant up the ying yang to people since then on twitter, it's obvious she didn't really mean anything offensive by that, she was just frustrated! There is no such thing as a perfect person, if this is the worst thing Caroline says all year, I think she should be anointed as a :saint:!

igniculus
06-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Boo-hoo, her twitter is locked. Whatever. :rolleyes:

She is a member of the US team who is in the public spotlight as an US Olympic hopeful - not many of us here are in the same position, psycho. :blah: And as such a person, she definitely needs to watch her words and comments, especially towards authorities. If other skaters have to swallow public criticism due to their press comments *cough Evan cough Johnny*, then DivaZhang is no exception. :rolleyes:

Kaede48
06-29-2009, 02:01 PM
I can't believe people are scolding Caroline for an unortunate choice of words!
Look at it this way: her skates got lost and sure that's not the most important thing for the police, but for her it is a very big deal. How much does a new pair of skates cost? She was surely frustrated and maybe desperate so she made a comment which was somehow inappropriate. So what? Sure, she's a member of team USA, but she's human, and humans make mistakes. Don't we all make immature comments from time to time?
So will you please stop scolding the girl for such an unimportant issue?! Calm down, nobody's perfect! :saint:
And now her twitter is locked!!!!:mad:

Karpenko
06-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Boo-hoo, her twitter is locked. Whatever. :rolleyes:

She is a member of the US team who is in the public spotlight as an US Olympic hopeful - not many of us here are in the same position, psycho. :blah: And as such a person, she definitely needs to watch her words and comments, especially towards authorities. If other skaters have to swallow public criticism due to their press comments *cough Evan cough Johnny*, then DivaZhang is no exception. :rolleyes:

except that this wasn't a press conference, she wasn't being interviewed by people for the sake of a newspaper article. She posted this on her twitter! Big deal!

libby
06-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Caroline is an athlete in the public eye now, and like a long line of athletes before her, she will learn the hard way to be savvier about what she says (and writes) to the media and the public.

Johnny, Patrick, Brian, and many other skaters have made statements that they've been much more heavily criticized for than this, and they are still around. She'll be fine, and hopefully, she'll learn from this.

azskatefan
06-29-2009, 02:42 PM
As I mentioned before, when you are a public figure, which Caroline now is as an international competitor for the U.S. and a hopeful for Vancouver, you need to be careful with what you say, as it could hurt you no matter how you intended it to come off. Twitter is public when you don't protect it and screen who follows you. If you allow everyone, as she was, it's public even if it doesn't have anything to do with her career. Same for Facebook. If you add fans, it's public.

I doubt she meant to be malicious but people who are in the town where her skates were stolen probably don't appreciate a teenager calling their police force useless -- especially when they ended up finding her skates in a reasonable amount of time (granted, it probably felt like ages for her). It's little comments like that that can actually get you in trouble (not with the law) but with the fans, etc., who are expected to support her career. It might be stupid and petty but the reasons most of us don't like a lot of celebrities is for reasons just like that - things they said that instantly made a bad impression on us.

RD
06-29-2009, 07:49 PM
You know, it's funny: some skaters get criticized for airing "sound bytes" and doing drab, boring interviews; yet, when one of them says something even a little edgy, some of these same people don't hesitate to pounce. Make up your mind people: one cannot have it both ways.

Visaliakid
06-29-2009, 10:49 PM
You know, it's funny: some skaters get criticized for airing "sound bytes" and doing drab, boring interviews; yet, when one of them says something even a little edgy, some of these same people don't hesitate to pounce. Make up your mind people: one cannot have it both ways.

Amen, Red Dog! I'm with you! Odd... the forum that prides it's collective self" for holding the SNARK tiara, emits shudders of reaction to Caroline's opinion! :rolleyes: This is exactly the kind of crap that Jennifer Kirk blogged about!

Kiss My 1040
06-29-2009, 10:58 PM
If only everyone had such high moral superiority as some people in this thread the world would be... oh.... well, a repressed stuffy place.

azskatefan
06-30-2009, 12:59 AM

Actually, I think that people can be interesting without being disrespectful. Maybe my beliefs come from all the public relations courses that I took in school but there's few comments that will yield worse results than those disrespecting someone else. Caroline was frustrated. No harm done really. But I do think her agent, Shep, should warn her that such comments can be viewed as disrespectful and turn people off. I enjoy interesting skaters but not trash talkers (not that this was really even trash talking but it's just to explain a point).

JamieSix
06-30-2009, 06:33 AM
Who here hasn't talked smack about their local police before? I've done it before... ?

falling_dance
06-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Who really knows why Caroline Zhang's updates are now protected? Katrina Hacker's are as well. Doesn't this usually happen with social networking technology? Lots of public communications, then second thoughts, whether occasioned by anxiety or genuine embarassments, and then the friends-locking and suchlike.