PDA

View Full Version : Dollhouse (threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

genevieve
03-21-2009, 05:07 AM
Wheeeeeeee, I KNEW Melly was a Doll from the first time I saw her - her lovelorn neighbor act was just too over the top. Great way to introduce it though - and I'm glad they didn't kill her off. And Echo's encounter with Paul was awesome too. Joss Whedon definitely knows how to film thrilling fight scenes. My only question is whether Paul gets it enough to see that he can't talk to Melly (er...or talk in his apartment to anyone) about Dollhouse. I do hope that the rapport he established with the woman at the FBI means she'll continue to help him beyond this ep.

Love that we now have a true Big Bad - one that's larger than this operation and could sustain a series (FOX willing) beyond a season or two.

Amy L
03-21-2009, 05:46 AM
Topher once said that the dolls used to have a basic combat mode in case of emergency, but it was taken out after Alpha. Adele triggered Mellie with a phrase to get her to start fighting. Do you think that's part of the Mellie "active" or that she's an older doll from the around the same time as Alpha?

I was going back and forth between Mellie being a doll. It made sense that there was more of a way of keeping an eye on Ballard other than activating Victor's Lubov persona, but then again, I could imagine the scenario of Ballard rushing to try to save Mellie but her already being long dead before he got to her (it happened on Angel!) Speaking of Angel, the corporation higher ups are sounding very Senior Partners. Poor Ballard is going to be in for a world of hurt.

And yeah, the show is totally starting to get really interesting! It's probably doomed, but even if FOX kills it soon, the last episodes should be out on DVD eventually...

rfisher
03-21-2009, 12:56 PM
I really liked the greyness they brought out with the man-on-the-street interviews. Human trafficking vs some potentially positive aspects of the service. I thought the episode was very good. The only thing I hate about stage fights is nobody ever bleeds. You don't hit people in the face without blood, except TV and movies.

Garden Kitty
03-21-2009, 02:08 PM
According to an article in TV Guide on likely renewals for next week, Dollhouse has dismal ratings, but they also say that Whedon's fans tend to be very loyal so there might be more dvd/merchandising opportunities that could help keep the show on the air despite the ratings.

PeterG
03-22-2009, 01:55 AM
I keep having this thought about Alpha (and who will play him). You know how Brian Austin Greene has surprised everyone with his role on "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles"? I keep thinking we're going to see Alpha at the very end of some episode...played by a very beefed up, more mature Nicholas Brendon (Xander on Buffy). Nicholas showed he was more than Xander on Kitchen Confidential (a Fox sitcom co-starring Alias' Bradley Cooper). This is my casting suggestion to Mr. Whedon. :D

Wheeeeeeee, I KNEW Melly was a Doll from the first time I saw her - her lovelorn neighbor act was just too over the top.

During last night's episode, I was thinking, "Melly can't be a Doll, but I bet she is a plant of the Dollhouse organiztion". I agree that Melly is too over the top to be just Melly. :lol:

But was it Laurence Dominic (played by Reed Diamon) who said to Adelle DeWitt (the head of [this] Dollhouse) something about how Paul Ballard is talking about all the details of Dollhouse to "the nearest civilian" (Melly)? Then later, Adelle phones Ballard's home, triggering Melly into her Doll-ness. So Laurence is out of the loop about Melly being a Doll? We have not seen Melly at the Dollhouse's location, so is she a Doll from one of the other Dollhouses around the world?

Plus I'm wondering about Ballard being surrounded by Dolls...three, now. Does he know yet that Dolls are people with personalities put onto them? He must seeing Echo with two different personalites. So shouldn't he be suspecting everyone around him? He's FBI, right, so he could have access to everyone's background?

Agreed; I think this was the best episode so far.

I liked how last night's episode moved the series forward, but my favourite episode so far is the second one, "The Target". Two or three storylines happening at the same time, each one interesting. This episode was so well done, it was better than many movies out there. :respec:

According to an article in TV Guide on likely renewals for next week, Dollhouse has dismal ratings...

:(

Amy L
03-22-2009, 02:21 AM
Dollhouse has terrible ratings, but one of the highest numbers for people who DVR or watch it on the Internet. I don't know what that says about its future but it's not totally bad.

The actor for Alpha is indeed a Whedon alum and it's not Nick Brendon. How do you do the spoiler font?

genevieve
03-22-2009, 02:32 AM
type [ spoiler]your sekret text goes here [ /spoiler], but remove the spaces between the brackets.

I think Melly was so sekret that even ToolTown aka Topher didn't know about her. I think Adele is showing she's one smart cookie with a few tricks up her sleeve.

There's a lot of speculation on twop about who the mole is, or if there even is a mole (i.e. Echo's 'message' to Paul was intentional to throw him off). I want there to be a mole, and as long as it's not the execrable Topher, I'm in.

Amy L
03-22-2009, 02:51 AM
Maybe Alpha did an override on her programming? To recognize Paul and give him a message? Though I do think it's quite likely that Adele is just messing with him some more. Or Dr. Saunders is the mole since she seems to be one of the more sympathetic of the Dollhouse employees. Or Topher's assistant who he makes get him coffee. I'd betray the dbag! So many possibilities... I love that in a show!

Anyhoo, if you want to know, it's very likely, not 100%, but all of the spoiler sites say that Alpha is played by Alan Tudyk.

PeterG
03-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Anyhoo, if you want to know, it's very likely, not 100%, but all of the spoiler sites say that Alpha is played by Alan Tudyk.

Umm....THIS guy??? http://leafonthewind.com/wp-content/uploads/alan_tudyk4.jpg

:blah:

ETA: Tudyk is listed at imdb.com as being a part of the Dollhouse cast (playing Alpha), but not until episode 12.

Desperado
03-23-2009, 12:23 AM
Even though I really enjoy that actor's work, I'm really not sure about him playing Alpha. No offence, but I was hoping for a lot more beefcake then that...:shuffle:

agalisgv
03-23-2009, 02:48 AM
Or Topher's assistant who he makes get him coffee. I think it's either her or Adele.

Great, great episode.

One other thought--if Adele is the mole, then maybe Ballard is a doll too :sekret:. Keeps everyone focused on him rather than the true investigation.

tarotx
03-23-2009, 04:09 AM
Ballard is pretty enough to be a doll but there does come a point that there has to be real world people. I figured Mellie was a doll because when the actress was first cast she was listed as a doll. The character has a name in the vein of "Echo, Victor, Sierra..." but I can't remember it at the moment. I just find out it was November.

Well any way I love this episode. It's more like how the pilot should have been. It engaged the whole cast for the most point and it brought Ballard and Echo together which makes his part seem less like a second show.

emason
03-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Ballard is pretty enough to be a doll but there does come a point that there has to be real world people.

Agree on this. They can't all be dolls. What would be the point?

Garden Kitty
03-23-2009, 04:11 PM
I feel like sort of a dope, because I never saw the Mellie as a doll turn. I just assumed she was sacrificial fodder who'd be killed at some point.

agalisgv
03-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Agree on this. They can't all be dolls. What would be the point? A really neat conspiracy :D.

See, say Adele is the mole. She has Lawrence looking over her shoulder all the time. Adele sets up a diversion--namely Ballard. This attracts Lawrence's attention and makes him believe Adele is doing nothing suspect. It also gives her a bigger in to TPTB with her performance (which she knows Lawrence will promptly report). Meanwhile, she has another scheme with others inside the FBI to bring down the Dollhouse (those characters not being revealed until much later). But it's premised on everyone focusing on Ballard and not the true threat.

:sekret: :sekret: :sekret:

Just a theory, but I could see it working as a major plot twist down the road.