PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk footie shall we?! :)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

Buzz
06-12-2009, 04:43 PM
I think the figure is actually closer to $132 million. Still a lot of money. Man U definitely is not wanting for talenled players even without Ronaldo. Best of luck to the kid, but Barca is still my favourite Spanish club. :D

Garden Kitty
06-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Article in the NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/13/sports/soccer/13race.html?_r=1&hpw)about a soccer player in the Belgian League suing a player on another team for "moral compensation" resulting from alleged racial comments.

Orable
06-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Throwing bananas at black players and making monkey noises? Disgusting :mad:

Re: Onyewu's case, I'm heartened that the Belgian public seems to be on his side...

Buzz
06-13-2009, 07:59 AM
Unfortunately racism in football is a big problem. This has also happened elsewhere as well. I hope UEFA & FIFA does something.

Just a reminder to all that the 09/10 season of the CL will start up on the 30th of June that is this month. :D Here is the list of participants. Just a small question however; when did Russia start sending three teams to the competition?

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/format/newsid=788882.html

Buzz
06-15-2009, 03:52 PM
The Confederations cup is on right now and I watched I guess what was a replay of the Spain vs New Zealand game. The Brazil vs Eqypt game is on now and Brazil leads at the 2nd half 3-1. Two very entertaining matches so far.

Civic
06-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Unfortunately racism in football is a big problem. This has also happened elsewhere as well. I hope UEFA & FIFA does something...

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/format/newsid=788882.html

By not doing anything UEFA and FIFA are giving tacit support to the offenders. They should have tackled this kind of behavior a long time ago. Good on Oguchi Onyewu for saying enough already. It's probably not a coincedence that he's from the US. Lord knows the US has its problems surrounding race but racial slurs are no longer considered acceptable in polite society in the US. That's a good thing, imo.

KHenry14
06-15-2009, 06:41 PM
By not doing anything UEFA and FIFA are giving tacit support to the offenders. They should have tackled this kind of behavior a long time ago. Good on Oguchi Onyewu for saying enough already. It's probably not a coincedence that he's from the US. Lord knows the US has its problems surrounding race but racial slurs are no longer considered acceptable in polite society in the US. That's a good thing, imo.

It's a good thing Civic, but we in the USA aren't above such things. Last Saturday night at the Los Angeles Galaxy vs. Real Salt Lake game in Carson, CA, evidently one of the Galaxy's supporters groups started chanting "Turkey, Turkey" to Yura Movsisyan of RSL, who's an Armenian. Genocide isn't clever or funny in my book, and I'm embarrassed that my team's supporters would stoop to that kind of thing.

Civic
06-15-2009, 07:15 PM
It's a good thing Civic, but we in the USA aren't above such things. Last Saturday night at the Los Angeles Galaxy vs. Real Salt Lake game in Carson, CA, evidently one of the Galaxy's supporters groups started chanting "Turkey, Turkey" to Yura Movsisyan of RSL, who's an Armenian. Genocide isn't clever or funny in my book, and I'm embarrassed that my team's supporters would stoop to that kind of thing.

:(Has there been any comment from the LA Galaxy front office or local media? Any protests from the players' union or Real Salt Lake's front office?

KHenry14
06-15-2009, 07:20 PM
:(Has there been any comment from the LA Galaxy front office or local media? Any protests from the players' union or Real Salt Lake's front office?

I'm not sure that either team was aware of the chant, nor the media to be honest. I'm just reporting what's being said online, as I wasn't at the game. But the denials I'm reading are pretty half hearted.

KHenry14
06-17-2009, 12:39 AM
USA 1 ITA 3 in Confederations cup play yesterday. Yanks gave it a go and held a lead for a while even though they were down a man. Then the Italians put Yank Giusseppe Rossi in who scores almost immediately, and it was downhill from there. A valiant effort, but the Yanks ran out of gas in the end.

NeilJLeonard
06-17-2009, 04:48 AM
USA 1 ITA 3 in Confederations cup play yesterday. Yanks gave it a go and held a lead for a while even though they were down a man. Then the Italians put Yank Giusseppe Rossi in who scores almost immediately, and it was downhill from there. A valiant effort, but the Yanks ran out of gas in the end.
Good report. It does not contain all the incendiary carrying on that you'll find in other places....:D

Next the USA plays Brazil.....:wideeyes:

NJL (Still, I've found a new player to top my "least liked list"...;) ...)

BrokenAnkle
06-17-2009, 06:37 AM
Good report. It does not contain all the incendiary carrying on that you'll find in other places....:D

Next the USA plays Brazil.....:wideeyes:

NJL (Still, I've found a new player to top my "least liked list"...;) ...)

Uh, I thought about it Neil, but that's why I waited overnight to post, I let some of the anger go. Still, Rossi in an ITA kit is like biting on foil! :eek:

Buzz
06-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Today's matches are Iraq vs Spain and South Africa vs New Zealand.

Buzz
06-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Iranian players wear green armbands during a recent WC qualifier but later were told to take them off.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article6521884.ece

NeilJLeonard
06-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Uh, I thought about it Neil, but that's why I waited overnight to post, I let some of the anger go. Still, Rossi in an ITA kit is like biting on foil! :eek:
That's why I did not post, too. Still, we played well, but Italy is one of the elite teams around. This game showed why. It also showed much of the problem the USA has internationally.

Ricardo Clark's foul was marginally a red card. The players should know by now that we've accumulated enough red cards over the years that a call like that will usually go against us. That one moment turned the game against us and we are not strong enough to overcome it. I wonder if it didn't help ITA on all of their goals. All three were shots that went in were totally unchallenged.

Come to think of it, we've given up a few of those in WC qualifying. Maybe a very talented UEFA squad was able to pick up on that and put it to good use for themselves.

As I said, next we play Brazil.

NJL

ETA: For all of that, Rossi's tying goal was a goal-of-the-tournament candidate. From 30 yds out into the upper left corner of the goal like a bullet. An incredible strike! He scored it for the wrong team, of course, but that does not detract from it's quality. I've heard a rumor that he dedicated his 2 goals to his family in the US. If so, I hope he chokes on the incredibly stupid arrogance of that statement.