PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk footie shall we?! :)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

NeilJLeonard
05-29-2009, 03:38 AM
I'm just moving on to Saturday rooting on Timmy Howard and Everton to a big win over the Blues! :D

I'd like that. Considering the 2 teams, I don't expect it.

I'm really more interested in the USA v Costa Rica on the 2nd. That's one that scares me. I'd love a win, will be pleased with a tie, but expect the worst.

NJL (We'll see, on both of 'em....;) ...)

KHenry14
05-29-2009, 11:55 PM
I'd like that. Considering the 2 teams, I don't expect it.

I'm really more interested in the USA v Costa Rica on the 2nd. That's one that scares me. I'd love a win, will be pleased with a tie, but expect the worst.

NJL (We'll see, on both of 'em....;) ...)

I'm not expecting an Everton win, but it would be great for them and the sport if they found a way to pull it off!

And you are correct, the USA is in big trouble in CR. We are ripe for an upset, the only good thing is that all the guys playing in Europe are available. One wonders if Benny Feilhaber will see the pitch for the first time in a while. :confused: But I'm not expecting Freddy to play at all over the next couple of weeks, even though he's been called up.

NeilJLeonard
05-30-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm not expecting an Everton win, but it would be great for them and the sport if they found a way to pull it off!
Everton 1 v 2 Chelsea

Everton scored in the 1st minute, then Chelsea throttled them for the next 89. Everton gave it a good try, but Chelsea were/are simply the superior team. An interesting game to watch, but I really wanted Everton to pull off the upset. No such luck...;)

NJL

NeilJLeonard
06-03-2009, 10:25 PM
And you are correct, the USA is in big trouble in CR. We are ripe for an upset, the only good thing is that all the guys playing in Europe are available. One wonders if Benny Feilhaber will see the pitch for the first time in a while. :confused: But I'm not expecting Freddy to play at all over the next couple of weeks, even though he's been called up.
The only upset that can occur tonight is the USA winning. They've never won in Saprissa Stadium in San Jose (or anywhere else in CR, for all of that). If they get out with a 1 point draw I'll be happy, but I'll not be shocked by a Ticos win since the last time the 2 teams met in Saprissa the Ticos got a 3-0 win. If the USA does win I may wind up in the nearest Cardiac ICU...;)

NJL (but then, 3 points for the USA on the road where they've only tied once might be worth a trip to the ER......at least, as long as I survive it to enjoy & celebrate the victory...:D ...)

NeilJLeonard
06-04-2009, 04:07 AM
At the half at Costa Rica:

Costa Rica 2 v USA 0

Understanding that they can't give up any goals in the 1st 20 minutes of the game if they are to have any chance of winning, the USA promptly gave up one in the 2nd minute and another in the 13th. There is no way I can tell you how easy both goals were for the Ticos. I don't think there will be an upset at Saprissa Stadium tonight...:(

ETA: We didn't see an upset. Costa Rica scored in the 70th minute to pretty much end any chance of a comeback, and, again on much too easy a goal. Landon Donovan scored on a PK in the 92nd minute to make it look better than it actually was. Now team USA has to play Honduras, the most impressive team in CONCACAF, on Saturday. This will be a must win for the USA. Ticket sales at Soldier Field in Chicago are over 50,000 & a crowd of 60,000 - a sellout - is expected. I didn't know that there were/are that many Hondurans in the US.....guess I was wrong.

Final score:

Costa Rica 3 v USA 1

NJL

Buzz
06-04-2009, 08:03 AM
For some reason I did not expect that result. I am a bit surprise.

Jackie Sparrow
06-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Muy bieeeeeeeen Ticooooooooos!!! :cheer:

NeilJLeonard
06-07-2009, 04:08 AM
USA 2 v 1 Honduras
El Salvador 2 v 1 Mexico
TnT 2 v 3 Costa Rica

That's it for tonight's CONCACAF hex. I'm not certain of the standings for all 6 teams but I am sure of the top 2:
CR.............12 points
USA...........10
El Sal...........5
Honduras......4
Mexico........3!
TnT.............2

I'll add the others when I see the table posted on the CONCACAF site. (ETA-See above:) ...)

Also ETA: On June 10th:
Mexico v TnT
Honduras v El Sal

NJL (...USA fell behind 1-0 in the 5th minute....then battled back for the win...:cool: ...)

Buzz
06-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks Neil! Oh my poor T&T! :wuzrobbed:

NeilJLeonard
06-11-2009, 11:10 AM
CONCACAF for 6/10/09:

Mexico 2 v 1 TnT
Honduras 1 v 0 El Salvador

At the mid-point:

Costa Rica...............12 points
USA........................10
Honduras..................7
Mexico.....................6
El Salvador...............5
TnT.........................2

The fun resumes on August 12, 2009:

Honduras v Costa Rica
TnT v El Salvador
Mexico v USA (The USA has never beaten Mexico in Mexico)

NJL (until then the USA goes to South Africa to play in the Confederations Cup in June, then returns to participate in the CONCACAF Gold Cup in July....Then resumes WCQ in August....it's a busy summer/fall in the Americas & the Caribbean...:) ...)

Buzz
06-11-2009, 01:23 PM
I heard there were a bunch of qualifiers on tv on FoxSports but I don't believe I have that channel unfortunately. :( Well it looks like my loyalties will not be divided at the next world cup. LOL Thanks Neil :)

Buzz
06-11-2009, 01:27 PM
My eyes are burning!!!! Manchester United has accepted a reported $220 million bid for Christiano Ronaldo! This on top of their $92 million pay out for Kaka. :eek: They must really be desperate to beat Barcelona. :lol:

Civic
06-11-2009, 05:43 PM
My eyes are burning!!!! Manchester United has accepted a reported $220 million bid for Christiano Ronaldo! This on top of their $92 million pay out for Kaka. :eek: They must really be desperate to beat Barcelona. :lol:

I heard this on BBC World News while getting ready for work this morning. Apparently Real Madrid wants Ronaldo. Being a Yank I don't follow 'football' but even I know who Ronaldo is. In the words of a female Manchester resident: "I'm not a fan but he's very nice to look at, I'll give him that.":grope:

KHenry14
06-11-2009, 10:23 PM
I heard there were a bunch of qualifiers on tv on FoxSports but I don't believe I have that channel unfortunately. :( Well it looks like my loyalties will not be divided at the next world cup. LOL Thanks Neil :)

Fox Soccer Channel did have a bunch of qualifyers, I actually watched a big part of the Qatar v Australia match, which was one of the most boring matches I've ever seen! :lol: Not exactly the beautiful game in my book!

KHenry14
06-11-2009, 10:37 PM

One wonders how these two will work together. After all there is only one ball to go around....