PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk footie shall we?! :)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

Buzz
03-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Well since Canada, Trinidad or Jamaica for that matter are in the WC I will be routing for the US. I know you guys will do great. There is no shame in losing to the Dutch. They are the 3rd ranked team afterall and the US put up quite a fight. SPain is looking good! They beat France 2-0, and Argentina beat Germany 1-0.

NeilJLeonard
03-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Well since Canada, Trinidad or Jamaica for that matter are NOT in the WC I will be rooting for the US. I know you guys will do great. There is no shame in losing to the Dutch. They are the 3rd ranked team after all and the US put up quite a fight. SPain is looking good! They beat France 2-0, and Argentina beat Germany 1-0.
England played, too. And won 3-0 or 3-1 w/Peter Crouch scoring a pair. I think the game was played in England vs Egypt, but I'm not sure of that.

ETA: And, thanks for the well wishes, too...;)

NJL

KHenry14
03-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Looks like it is bad news for Stuart Holden http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/sports/article/468674--bolton-midfielder-holden-out-for-up-to-six-weeks-after-fracturing-right-leg?flv=1

Kid was really starting to make an impact with Bolton and the USMNT. I hope this doesn't hurt his chances for the WC.

NeilJLeonard
03-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Opps! Another stupid dupe...:(

NJL

NeilJLeonard
03-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Looks like it is bad news for Stuart Holden http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/sports/article/468674--bolton-midfielder-holden-out-for-up-to-six-weeks-after-fracturing-right-leg?flv=1

Kid was really starting to make an impact with Bolton and the USMNT. I hope this doesn't hurt his chances for the WC.
It does. Just one more to add to the list of possible starters that will probably not be at full strength in June.

As I remember during the broadcast the announcers were upset with de Jong's tackle. It seemed a bit too professional and deliberate to them against the only US player that seemed to be attacking effectively. I was just getting back from an emergency potty break, so I really can't comment on it. The saving grace to this was that DaMarcus Beasley was the player that replaced him. As I've stated he eventually came close to bing the player that turned the game around for the USA.

I hope Stuart's is ready to go by June. He's becoming a very useful player for the USA.

NJL

ETA: This is a write up of the play w/a video link of de Jong's tackle included:
soccer.fanhouse.com/2010/03/04/nigel-de-jong-tackle-costs-stuart-holden-six-weeks/
it does not look deliberate in any way, but it is hard & nasty....the writer asks a very pointed question in the last sentence in the paragraph after de Jong's quote. I'm sure that is a question being asked by more than a few folks that saw the game.

ETA2:....The US got a free kick for the foul & Mr de Jong did get a yellow card for it.....end of story...;)

Buzz
03-04-2010, 07:08 PM
England won 3-1 I believe. Good on them but I am not really that much of a fan. LOL The Italians are still my favourite team in Europe, but I will not be too upset if Spain won the cup this year. Still love Brazil but they have too many problems.

Buzz
03-06-2010, 04:19 AM
Everton is very happy with Landon Donavan, however, LA wants him back. Too bad! I was hoping Everton would keep him but alas it looks like that is not going to happen now. bummer :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/e/everton/8552757.stm

Buzz
03-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Today Porto plays Arsenal while Bayern plays Fiorentina. Bayern and Porto both won the first legs by 2-1 margins. :)

Buzz
03-10-2010, 02:06 AM
Arsenal tundered past Porto with a massive 5-0 victory at home and I saw this match on tv but could hardly believe what I was watching. The win by Arsenal did not surprise me but the margin by which they won is what took my breath away. LOL Meanwhile Fiorentina beat Bayern 3-2 at home but Bayern moves on on the away goal rule. I really do not like this away goal rule at all. I wish the team would do a shoot out to see who moves on if the aggregate score is the same instead of this away goal thingie. But then again no one is asking my opinion. :lol:

Tomorrow Real Madrid plays Lyon and Manchester United plays AC Milan. During the first leg Lyon beat Real at home 1-0, and Man U won away at Milan 3-2. Needless to say I will be routing for Man U! :cheer2:

Buzz
03-10-2010, 05:05 PM
A group of investors calling themselves "The Red Knights" are trying to raise enough money to buy out Manchester United from it's American owners. The Club is now about $1 billion in debt and climbing. What's more the Glazer's six children are on the board of directors of the parent company and all have borrowed money from "Red Football Joint Venture" Man U's parent company. Now the Glazer's are considering a $500 million bond issue against the company. Needless to say Man U is in real big trouble, plus the owners are also rumoured to be considering selling off assets and players to raise money. Non of this bodes well for one of the most iconic and best known football clubs in the world and it's legions of fans the world over. Hopefully the Glazer's will sell the Man U and the club can be saved. Many fans think the club is being mismanaged and "driven to oblivion".

Red Knights offer for Man U (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/07/red-knights-manchester-united-glazers)

Manchester United debt criss (http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/01/21/manchester-united-debt-hits-716m-could-glazer-reign-spell-disaster/)

reckless
03-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Arsenal tundered past Porto with a massive 5-0 victory at home and I saw this match on tv but could hardly believe what I was watching. The win by Arsenal did not surprise me but the margin by which they won is what took my breath away. LOL Meanwhile Fiorentina beat Bayern 3-2 at home but Bayern moves on on the away goal rule. I really do not like this away goal rule at all. I wish the team would do a shoot out to see who moves on if the aggregate score is the same instead of this away goal thingie. But then again no one is asking my opinion. :lol:

Tomorrow Real Madrid plays Lyon and Manchester United plays AC Milan. During the first leg Lyon beat Real at home 1-0, and Man U won away at Milan 3-2. Needless to say I will be routing for Man U! :cheer2:
I always have the same reaction to the away goals rule, but it's usually when the team I like loses out.

But watching the Bayern/Fiorentina match yesterday, the announcers had a discussion of the rule and they reminded me of why it was adopted. Before the rule, the visiting team often played for a 0-0 draw by going into a total cocoon on defense. The away goal rule gave a strong incentive for the visiting team to attack. The discussion made me remember a lot of very boring matches in the early 1990s, before the rule was adopted.

Buzz
03-11-2010, 01:44 AM
Since you put it that way... I guess the away goal rule is the better of both undesirable options. Still do not like it much tho.... :shuffle:

Lyon drew 1-1 with Real Madrid to advance to the next round on a 2-1 aggregate score. Meanwhile Manchester United beat AC Milan 4-0!!!! WOOO-WHOOOOO!!!! :cheer2: Hopefully their continued success will make it easier for the team to recover from the disastrous ownership of the Glazer family. :revenge: The UEFA website has highlights of today's games available for veiwing free of charge. :respec:

Manchester United vs AC Milan (http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/matches/season=2010/round=2000029/match=2000471/index.html)

Lyon vs Real Madrid (http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/matches/season=2010/round=2000029/match=2000469/postmatch/report/index.html#pjanic+puts+paid+madrid+dreams)

Buzz
03-12-2010, 02:11 AM
Here one person opinon of the top 10 players at this year's world cup. I am very happy to see Wayne Rooney on that list because I think he has really done wonderfully at Manchester United this season. :) But I am not sure about Lionel Messi named as number one because he really has not done as well as he could this season and Argentina bearly qualified for this year's World Cup. Also I would have also picked at least one goalkeeper for that list. Perhaps Gianluigi Buffon, Iker Casillas or Petr Czech would be cool. :)

http://www.bigpondsport.com/news/tabid/281/newsid/42881/top-10-players-at-the-2010-world-cup/default.aspx

Buzz
03-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Five time Champions League winners Liverpool lost to Lillie 1-0 yesterday after being demoted to the Europa League. LOL The other results from yesterday are:

Hamburg 3 - 1 Anderlecht
Atlético 0 - 0 Sporting
Lille 1 - 0 Liverpool
Benfica 1 - 1 Marseille
Rubin 1 - 1 Wolfsburg
Juventus 3 - 1 Fulham
Valencia 1 - 1 Werder
Panathinaikos 1 - 3 Standard

Buzz
03-13-2010, 06:02 PM
I thought this might be fun; here is a list of the best players who have never played in the World Cup. :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1233018/THE-LIST-The-best-footballers-played-World-Cup--Nos-10-1.html