PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk footie shall we?! :)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

Buzz
02-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Man U lost to Everton yesterday and is now 4 points off the lead of the EPL. :( Chelsea and Arsenal did win however.... BUMMER! :lol:

Buzz
02-24-2010, 01:16 AM
Barca and Stuttgart tied 1-1 while Olympiacos lost to Bordeaux 0-1. Tomorrow Inter plays Chesea while Sevilla plays CSKA.

Buzz
02-24-2010, 09:34 PM
CSKA tied Sevilla 1-1 at Luzhniki Stadium. Inter leads Chelsea 2-1 with about 10 minutes left.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/matches/season=2010/round=2000029/match=2000464/postmatch/report/index.html#gonzalez+comes+cskas+rescue

Buzz
02-24-2010, 09:39 PM
And so it is, Inter 2 vs Chelsea 1, while Sevilla and CSKA tied 1-1. The return leg will start on the 9th March. :)

Buzz
02-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Here is a preview of the return leg of the Europa League which includes Liverpool for the first time. (I believe) Liverpool is leading Unirea 1-0 and is favourite to win again.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=1453884.html#full+preview+round

Orable
02-26-2010, 02:52 AM
Official World Cup Theme Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxWX1yGcsHQ) :)

Buzz
02-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Portsmouth is in administration. Which means they are broke and in debt. This is a surprise for me because I always believe the EPL to be too rich for any club to go broke. Hopefully they can get their act together soon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8527495.stm

sweetsparky
02-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Official World Cup Theme Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxWX1yGcsHQ) :)

Buzz
02-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Man U just beat Aston Villa to become the league Cup winners :respec:

P.S.
It is a very good tune. Thanks Orable. :)

zhenya271
03-01-2010, 04:33 AM
:lol:
He is still available to play for England - and that is - IMHO - the most important thing in the run up to the World Cup.

I think it is the fact that Terry is married and had an affair - which - in the run up to the World Cup which England are hopeful of making a good run at - is why the high profile position of captain of England was taken away from him as it is is going to be highly scrutinised. Trust me you haven't seen anything until you see the English Press when it comes to our national Football Team. Why do you think we haven't had an Englishman as manager/coach for years? No god fearing English man is prepared to lay their life open to the onslaught of the press! Terry is going to get enough press about his affair - so removing him as captain was really a logical decision IMHO.

ETA: OK we had an English man at the helm from 2006-2007 - but he was so short lived I actually forgot about him!!! Which is a pity as he was an excellent club manager/coach - just couldn't live up the the ridiculous high standards thrust upon him by the English FA, the press and the public. Better to have a rude Euro who just ignores the press thank goodness.

The press/fans are pretty hard on Terry-now they are saying the best he can do for England is quit the national team.

I guess the big deal this weekend was whether or not Wayne Bridge was going to shake his hand or not during the match between the two teams- of course Bridge passed.

I personally don't think a woman is worth passing up the opportunity to play in the World Cup, but I guess it is somewhat admirable that nothing is standing in the way of his principles.

KHenry14
03-03-2010, 04:42 PM
As a fan of the US Men's National Team, I'd love to see John Terry quit the English team! ;)

I understand the removal of him as Captain, but anything more than that is totally counterproductive. That is, unless the whole mess either effects his game (unlikely) or the team is in an uproar because he's on it (also unlikely). What they need to do is put this whole thing behind them as quickly as possible, because the World Cup is unfogiving, and the Americans, Slovenians and Algerians could care less about these problems and will do whatever they can to bury the Brits.

NeilJLeonard
03-03-2010, 10:28 PM
As a fan of the US Men's National Team, I'd love to see John Terry quit the English team! ;)

I understand the removal of him as Captain, but anything more than that is totally counterproductive. That is, unless the whole mess either effects his game (unlikely) or the team is in an uproar because he's on it (also unlikely). What they need to do is put this whole thing behind them as quickly as possible, because the World Cup is unfogiving, and the Americans, Slovenians and Algerians could care less about these problems and will do whatever they can to bury the Brits.
If the USA plays England like they did the Netherlands today Terry is not needed (USA 1 v 2 Netherlands). Sloppy by both teams and, despite the score, the USA was totally outclassed. Still, kudos to DaMarcus Beasley for sparking a 2nd half resurgence for the USA. Without him it probably would have been much worse; with him they got one and damn near tied it.

NJL (..next are the Czech Republic & Turkey 2 weeks before the WC...:)..)

Buzz
03-03-2010, 10:51 PM
And if the English are in doubt, they could always ask Russia about the perils of underestimating your opponents. :lol:
Their national team lost to Slovenia but was expected to win easily. LOL

KHenry14
03-04-2010, 06:20 AM
Neil, I'm not sure I'd say "totally outclassed" as the Dutch needed a PK and a lucky deflection to score (thank you Jon Bornstein for both!).

It's clear that Spector, DeMerit and Boca will be starters in the WC, and they were pretty serviceable. What's going to happen at left back depends entirely on whether Gooch can come back or not. If not, I suspect that Spector may go to the left side and Cherundolo may take over the right

Stuart Holden is stepping up his game, no doubt being in the EPL has helped him. And surprise, surprise, DaMarcus Beasley seemingly has resurrected his game in Scotland. Bob Bradley likes him, so I suspect that DMB will make the WC team.

But it's clear that Torres, Findley, Johnson, and Bornstein played themselves off the WC team today.

NeilJLeonard
03-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Neil, I'm not sure I'd say "totally outclassed" as the Dutch needed a PK and a lucky deflection to score (thank you Jon Bornstein for both!).

It's clear that Spector, DeMerit and Boca will be starters in the WC, and they were pretty serviceable. What's going to happen at left back depends entirely on whether Gooch can come back or not. If not, I suspect that Spector may go to the left side and Cherundolo may take over the right

Stuart Holden is stepping up his game, no doubt being in the EPL has helped him. And surprise, surprise, DaMarcus Beasley seemingly has resurrected his game in Scotland. Bob Bradley likes him, so I suspect that DMB will make the WC team.

But it's clear that Torres, Findley, Johnson, and Bornstein played themselves off the WC team today.
True, they held their own through much of the match and at least the 2nd goal was a gift from the soccer gods, but, they never seemed to be any threat at all until the last 15 or 20 minutes when they threatened consistently. Or, at the least, gave as good as they got. Jozy Altidore especially shone then. At 19 this kid is good now and is going to be a force on the field in a few more years. The last few minutes of the game belonged to them, especially after the goal that made it 2-1. For all of that, the Dutch throughout always seemed to be 1st to the ball, constantly took the ball from US players, did threaten the US goal more - though, except for the penalty by Bornstein it was defended well - and generally seemed to be the better team. The word that may describe it best is 'confidence'. The Dutch players were and, until the last few minutes, we weren't. Once team USA got a bit of confidence they played quite well, if too late.

I agree about the back line. Not all that bad against a very good team. Except for the PK Bornstein did not play that badly, even if this was not his best game ever. The deflection was pure bad luck, nothing else. He'll probably go as a sub because I think the idiotic penalty for the PK did put him on the bench. Holden, I hope his injury is nothing, played well and DaMarcus was a revelation. He played like the player he was before he had the run of injurys. Also note he was not playing left back... ;).

Of the others, Findley and Johnson are probably gone. Torres is a maybe. Well see if he's still around when the USA plays the Czech Republic & Turkey in May. He and Findley may be around for 2014. "Fast Eddie" may have played his last game in a USA shirt. Again, we'll know in May. Most other players did not hurt their cause for a spot on the 2010 roster. Now we'll just have to see how the multitude of injuries work out and to see of any of those players can make it back.

NJL (...I have mixed thoughts on the new away jersey...it's far, far better than it's predecessor - anything in the color called 'antracite' ain't good - but I still like the Royal Blue w/white pinstripes more than any other I've ever seen...:)...)

ETA: A few hours before this game started the USA Woman's Nat'l Team defeated Germany's Womans Nat'l Team 3-2 in Portugal to win their 7th Algarve Cup Championship.