PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk footie shall we?! :)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

NeilJLeonard
03-30-2009, 04:28 PM
In CONCACAF WC 2010 qualifying:

Mexico 2 - 0 Costa Rica
TnT 1 - 1 Honduras
El Salvador 2 - 2 USA

Standings as of now:

USA.............4 points
Mexico..........3
Costa Rica.....3
El Salvador....2
TnT..............2
Honduras.......1

Wednesday's Games:

USA v TnT
Costa Rica v El Salvador
Honduras v Mexico

NJL

KHenry14
03-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Ugly game by the USA side. Lots of bad performances, but the team was saved by a couple of good subs (Altidore, Torrez) and the gutsy Heyduk. This team badly missed Howard and Bocanegra, plus it needs a gut check by Beasley, Klesjian, Ching and Dempsey.

Good players play well every time out, not just when they feel like it.

If they don't thrash TnT this week I'll be VERY disapointed. :angryfire

NeilJLeonard
03-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Ugly game by the USA side. Lots of bad performances, but the team was saved by a couple of good subs (Altidore, Torrez) and the gutsy Heyduk. This team badly missed Howard and Bocanegra, plus it needs a gut check by Beasley, Klesjian, Ching and Dempsey.

Good players play well every time out, not just when they feel like it.

If they don't thrash TnT this week I'll be VERY disapointed. :angryfire
Boca played, he was the USA Captain, but Gooch was out to injury. Guzan ain't Howard. Tim will be a welcome sight in net in Nashville.

And, El Sal took it to 'em for 75+ minutes. They then packed it in as won & depended on their acting ability, I've never seen so many "injurys" to one team in so short a time in my life, to carry the day (thus the 7 min added time). To the USA's credit they controlled the game to the end & scored 2 goals in less than 15 minutes to salvage a point from what could have been a disastrous defeat. The USA is supposed to be a better team than that, but none of these Central American road games are easy. Still, this had better be a wake up call to Bob Bradley & the squad to extract their head's from their asses and play.

I wonder who BB will play in Nashville on the 1st. As KH pointed out, some USA players really did not make the trip to EL Sal, even though they started. These guys are pros. That's unacceptable. We'll see.

NJL (FYI, Jonathan Boorstein will join the USA squad in Nashville....does this mean that Heath Pierce sits?)

Buzz
03-30-2009, 09:45 PM
About 19 people were killed in a stampede just before a WC qualifier between Malawi and Ivory Coast. Apparently a crowd of people who did not have tickets tried to force their way into the stadium causing a gate to fall, and the following panic caused the stampede.

http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-03-30-voa51.cfm

KHenry14
03-31-2009, 01:33 AM
You are right Neil, Gooch was out, not Boca, but the point was the same, he was missed.

I think if Bornstein was to get a shot, this is a prime spot for him. Plus it's time for Bob Bradley to start Altidore and Torrez to see what they can do. Ching and DMB have been around and are known quantities, such as they are. A home game against TnT is a perfect spot to let these two show their stuff. Plus it might be time for Bradley to get over whatever it is he has against Freddie Adu and give him a shot too.

This team is transitioning, so we need to start playing the up and comers to see who's for real and who isn't. We found out with Eddie Johnson, so now lets find out with Altidore.

NeilJLeonard
03-31-2009, 05:03 PM
You are right Neil, Gooch was out, not Boca, but the point was the same, he was missed.

I think if Bornstein was to get a shot, this is a prime spot for him. Plus it's time for Bob Bradley to start Altidore and Torrez to see what they can do. Ching and DMB have been around and are known quantities, such as they are. A home game against TnT is a perfect spot to let these two show their stuff. Plus it might be time for Bradley to get over whatever it is he has against Freddie Adu and give him a shot too.

This team is transitioning, so we need to start playing the up and comers to see who's for real and who isn't. We found out with Eddie Johnson, so now lets find out with Altidore.
Altidore & Torres were key ingredients in the last 15 minutes of the El Sal game. According to a few folks it also took the USA up until then to get over it's stunned fear of the crowd. It was supposed to have been deafening on the field & team USA got rattled by it all - or at least that's the latest rumor....:D Still, you are correct, they've both earned a starting role for tonight. BB has got to do something to improve the team and these 2 were certainly part of the improved play toward the end in San Sal.

NJL (awaiting Wednesday to see what BB & crewe do....hoping for the best....;) ...)

Buzz
03-31-2009, 10:24 PM
Some news from UEFA's WC qualifying games of last weekend.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1042872.html#spain+netherlands+edge+closer

Buzz
03-31-2009, 10:28 PM
HEY! Since when have Maradonna been Argentina's coach?! :eek:

KHenry14
03-31-2009, 10:58 PM
HEY! Since when have Maradonna been Argentina's coach?! :eek:

Last November. Where you been Buzz?? :D

It remains to be seen if a guy who can't manage his own life can manage the fortunes of 20 top class players in a Footie crazed country. :rolleyes:

Buzz
04-01-2009, 05:24 AM
Buried under a rock apparently... :( Good luck to them both. Maradonna has had so many problems with drugs and such, I am not convince he will make a good coach.

Buzz
04-01-2009, 12:16 PM
USA is at home to T&T today. Just one amoung 34 WC qualifiers in total world wide. Australia could be the first team to qualify for the WC today if they win aginst Uzbeckistan and currently they are in the lead 2:0. England is at home to Ukraine, Italy is at home to Ireland, Brazil is at home to Peru, Boliva is at home to Argentina. North Korea is at home to South Korea. Are any of the WC qualifiers on tv?

Buzz
04-01-2009, 09:43 PM
There are several games still going on...

Germany beats Wales 2:0
Bahrain over Qatar 1:0
South Korea over North Korea 1:0
Bosnia over Belgium 2:1
Belarus over Kazakhstan 5:1
Australia over Uzbekistan 2:0
Bulgaria over Cyprus 2:0
Netherlands over Macedonia 4:0

Buzz
04-01-2009, 10:11 PM
England over Ukraine 2:1 and I hope to at least see highlights of these games on GOLtv. :D

Buzz
04-01-2009, 10:41 PM
BOLIVIA DEREATS ARGENTINA 6-1 IN LA PAZ:eek::wall::yikes:

NeilJLeonard
04-02-2009, 04:21 AM
BOLIVIA DEREATS ARGENTINA 6-1 IN LA PAZ:eek::wall::yikes:
If you are used to playing in a stadium that is 10,000 feet above sea level you'll usually beat a team that is not used to playing at 10,000 feet above sea level. Plus, Bolivia has a decent team that is underrated by many despite being near the bottom on the CONMEBOL table. Diego gets his 1st bitter taste of CONMEBOL WC qualifying...:lol:

On a more important note: USA 3 - 0 TnT....;)

NJL