PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk footie shall we?! :)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

KHenry14
10-13-2009, 09:31 PM
It's being reported that USMNT Forward Charlie Davies was injured in a car crash in DC this morning. Nothing definite other than he was injured in a "fatal" car crash. More info & a link as soon as I find out more.

NJL....:(

Oh Man, I think the world of Charlie. He's one of the few people I actually follow on Twitter. I certainly hope he's OK. And one can't help but feel sorry for the woman who died in the crash. But one must wonder what they were doing driving around at 3:15am?

Buzz
10-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Wonders happen in football all the time, after all Russia defied the odds and beat the Dutch so..... BTW Is there any chance the US will be seeded high enough to be group leaders? I know past WC results counts in seeding teams, but they did win their Concacaf group ahead of Mexico.

NeilJLeonard
10-14-2009, 03:32 AM
Wonders happen in football all the time, after all Russia defied the odds and beat the Dutch so..... BTW Is there any chance the US will be seeded high enough to be group leaders? I know past WC results counts in seeding teams, but they did win their Concacaf group ahead of Mexico.
Probably not. They won the Hex in 2005, but were not seeded in 2006. Mexico was.

The US has not won the group yet. They have one more game to go on Wednesday. As does Mexico. Mexico should win. If they do and we don't they win the hex.

We'll have to see how the shock of losing Charlie Davies for at least 6 months, and possibly up to a year, will affect the US against Costa Rica on Wednesday.

All we can do for Charlie is wish him well - a broken left elbow that will need further surgery, facial injuries and a broken right tibia & femur along with bladder damage - will keep him sidelined for awhile. Let's hope that, at worst, he just misses this WC cycle and can recover for 2014 at the latest. Good luck to him & the other survivor of the crash. Condolences to the family of the young lady that died at the scene.

Any way you look at it, this makes for a very bad day...:(

NJL

Jackie Sparrow
10-14-2009, 08:51 PM
La Suisse is qualified.

Gil-Galad
10-14-2009, 08:58 PM
:cheer2: Schweiz :cheer2:

Jackie Sparrow
10-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Nevermind, I just realised that the 8 best second placed teams will have to go into barrage...

Gil-Galad
10-14-2009, 09:05 PM
How many second placed teams can go as well? 4?

The eight best second-placed teams go to the play offs. So there are four open spots.

Buzz
10-14-2009, 09:28 PM
When is the playoffs between those 8 2nd placed teams supposed to take place anyways?

Gil-Galad
10-14-2009, 10:00 PM
When is the playoffs between those 8 2nd placed teams supposed to take place anyways?
They will announce the matches next Monday, 19th of October. The matches will take place on the 14th and the 18th of November.

Has anyone seen the pictures from Poland - Slovakia? It was snowing like crazy, never stopped during the game, about 10cm snow at times on the field, despite the players running everywhere. Must have been a fun game.

NeilJLeonard
10-15-2009, 02:00 AM
At the half - USA 0 v 2 Costa Rica.....:(
I think Mexico is trailing 1-0 at the half, too.

Argentina beat Uruguay 1-0. Argentina advances! Uruguay plays the #4 from CONCACAF.

More to follow.

NJL

Buzz
10-15-2009, 02:04 AM
PHEW FOR ARGENTINA!!!!! :cheer2:

NeilJLeonard
10-15-2009, 03:49 AM
It's over!

USA 2 v 2 Costa Rica
Costa Rica scores 2 in the 1st half, the USA scores 2 in the 2nd half (including the 2nd goal, and CR heartbreaker, in the 95th minute).

TnT 2 v 2 Mexico
TnT salvages much pride with a tie against the Mexicans at home.

El Salvador 0 v 1 Honduras
Honduras does what it needs to do to advance to South Africa. Is the USA's tie enough to help them?

FINAL HEX STANDINGS TABLE....;)

USA...............20 points
Mexico............19
HONDURAS.....16
Costa Rica.......16
El Salvador........8
TnT.................6

The USA's tie gave them 1st place in the group and gave Honduras enough room to advance to 3rd, and a guaranteed trip to SA, on GD with their win. Mexico gets 2nd place. Not bad considering that they looked like they'd not qualify at all after 5 games. Costa Rica has to play and win a home & home against Uruguay to qualify for South Africa. Jonathan Bornstein's game tying goal off of a corner kick deep into added time sent the Tico's off the field in tears. This was after 2 of their coaches were ejected from the game. The time wasted there caused the ref to add over 6 minutes to the end of the match. To make it worse US back Oguchi Onyewu was stretchered off of the field with 10 minutes left in regulation time. They'd already used all 3 subs, so they had to soldier on with 10 players for the last part of the game. And the short handed USA scored against them. So close to advancing, and now 2 more games to play.

TnT & El Sal at least got to the Hex. TnT played like they were in a WC final and took 2 points from Mexico. That was enough to let the USA squeak into 1st place. El Sal played well early, but faded in the 2nd half of the competition.

A wild and wacky ending to a very entertaining competition. Here's hoping that all the CONCACAF entries do well. Now we wait until December and the WC draw. Undoubtedly the US will draw into the group of death yet again....:wideeyes::biggrinbo

NJL (I'll see all of you in SA next year...;) ...)

Buzz
10-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Woooo-Whooo!!!!!!! We actrually scored two goals! I am soooo happy. hehehehe

KHenry14
10-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Well, squeaking by with late game heroics from Jon Bornstein made a bad game tolerable. The USA had numerous chances to bury shots, but bad finishing killed them. I'm looking at you Conor Casey! :mad: And one can't help wondering had Charlie Davies been on the pitch, how many of those chances would have gone in? :(

But, winning the hex is still an accomplishment any way you look at it. And congrats to the Hondurans for earning their way in. And I bet the Ticos find a way to get past Uruguay too.

NeilJLeonard
10-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Well, squeaking by with late game heroics from Jon Bornstein made a bad game tolerable. The USA had numerous chances to bury shots, but bad finishing killed them. I'm looking at you Conor Casey! :mad: And one can't help wondering had Charlie Davies been on the pitch, how many of those chances would have gone in? :(

But, winning the hex is still an accomplishment any way you look at it. And congrats to the Hondurans for earning their way in. And I bet the Ticos find a way to get past Uruguay too.
Team USA has always had problems finishing. They have bad games like this much too often to be considered a truly competitive team in the WC. Conor Casey's monumental miss was just one of many that they missed before Honduras went 2-up on them. It looked for all the world that they'd play another solid game, only to get outscored because the goal is too small for them...;)

Good question about Charlie, but I think that no one on Team USA had their shootin' shoes on in the 1st half. Or most of the 2nd half, for all of that. He'd probably have done the same. They'd create excellent chances constantly then their shot would miss the entire goal. What made the whole thing even more frustrating is that the Costa Rican keeper played a superb game, too. The few they had on frame were punched out by him.

Still, they got what they needed when they needed it. Just barely, to be sure but, while Bradley's goal was ugly & opportunistic, Bornstein's was a gem. A well executed calculated gamble that paid huge dividends. Plus, getting it with seconds left, while a man down, made it about the most exciting one they've scored in awhile. It had me hoppin' around the room screaming and yelling like a fool...:D

You are right about winning the hex. And to do it with the injuries they've had, the back breaking schedule, winning 2 straight on the road, with a young, transitional team is remarkable. My hat is off to them & to Bob Bradley for a job well done. Let's hope they can work on their weaknesses now & get themselves ready for a good, solid, deep run at the WC.

NJL