PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk footie shall we?! :)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

BrokenAnkle
07-08-2009, 08:18 AM
yeah but it's Grenada.... :slinkaway

Sure, they aren't Spain, but they have won a couple of matches against decent competition lately.

NeilJLeonard
07-09-2009, 04:44 AM
Sure, they aren't Spain, but they have won a couple of matches against decent competition lately.
Not tonight. Haiti beat them 2-0. Next Haiti plays the USA, who beat Honduras by the same score. If Haiti wins & Honduras also wins then Group B is in a 3 way tie. Neat....:D

NJL (It's possible I'll be able to get to FIU Stadium in Miami Friday night to watch Canada & Costa Rica play a Gold Cup match there...we'll see...it's a double header with El Salvador v Jamaica the late match....might be a bit past my bed time.... ;) ...)

NeilJLeonard
07-11-2009, 04:20 AM
Didn't get to Miami tonight. I've caught a wonderful summertime cold & probably will be spending most of the week end at home in bed. YUCK!

Still, the 2 games were on Spanish language TV here & I did watch them. I wasn't missed much, either. Reports put the crowd at over 14, 000.

Canada & Costa Rica tied 2-2 & both will advance to the next round w/Canada in 1st place & CR in 2nd. Jamaica beat El Sal 1-0. Both will probably go home, but 2 of the 3 third place teams will advance, so hang loose on El Sal which gets 3rd on goals scored. My congrats to Canada for 1st place in the GC's "Group of Death".

Tomorrow I'll watch USA v Haiti on FSC then Honduras v Grenada in Spanish.

NJL (Sunday winds up group play....I'll tell you more on that later...:) ...)

ETA: My mistake. El Salvador is now out, not Jamaica. It seems that head-to-head play is the 1st tiebreaker, not total goals. In any event, Jamaica is listed as 3rd in group in the final standings posted on www.goldcup.org & the report of the game on the site has El Sal eliminated. They leave for WC qualifiers & Jamaica has to sweat out the next 2 days.

ETA2: On another note, rumors are being posted on the internet of USA's Jozy Altidore being loaned to Greece's perennial champion, Olympiakos, for the 2009-2010 season by his home club, La Liga's Villarreal. More on that once it is verified.

Buzz
07-11-2009, 09:28 PM
The pleasant surprise is that Canada is still alive. I think I have gotten use to the imagine of Canada being soccer poor. LOL

NeilJLeonard
07-12-2009, 03:04 AM
USA & Haiti tied at 2-2. USA scord in the 6th minute, Haiti scored 2 in the 1st 5 minutes of the 2nd half, then the USA scored in the 91st minute. Hell'uva game. Very exciting. Too exciting, even if Team USA had 4 players getting their 1st cap...:(

NJL

ETA: Honduras is hammering Grenada 4-0 with about 20 minutes to go in the game. So Group B will be:
USA..........7 points
Honduras....6 points
Haiti..........4 points
Grenada.....0 points

The top 3 will advance.

NeilJLeonard
07-13-2009, 02:13 AM
Mexico beat Guadeloupe 2-0 to win Group C & Panama beat Nicaragua 4-0, eliminating Jamaica in the process.

The quarters will be:

7/18/09
USA v Panama
Canada v Honduras

7/19/09
Costa Rica v Guadeloupe
Mexico v Haiti

NJL

Buzz
07-13-2009, 03:52 AM
Thanks Neil. :) Want to predict the winners? ;) I hope (rather than truely believe) that Canada at least makes it to the next round. :D

NeilJLeonard
07-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks Neil. :) Want to predict the winners? ;) I hope (rather than truely believe) that Canada at least makes it to the next round. :D
My personal front runners are 1/ Mexico & 2/ Canada.

Mexico dominated a good team from Guadeloupe. The 2-0 score does not indicate how dominant they were. They do not have their full National "A" team in the tournament, but they have enough of it to, probably, be the best team playing.

Canada, like Mexico, does not have it's full "A" team playing in the Gold Cup - most teams don't, in fact - but, like Mexico, they have enough to have a very competitive team. Plus, they have the revenge factor. They feel they got jobbed in the 2007 GC loss to the USA. They have a point.

Costa Rica may be the 3rd best team in the tournament. It will be interesting to see how far they can go.

Of the rest, Guadeloupe & Honduras are the dark horses, with Guadeloupe looking like the better team athletically since Honduras, like so many other teams in the GC, did not bring it's best team.

In fact, IMvhO, the team that is the most removed from their "A" team is the USA. Only 3 of the players from South Africa, now 2 since Charlie Davies has been released to his new team - Sochaux in the French Ligue 1 - were included in this squad. In fact, 6 of the players that started against Haiti were making their 1st start for the USA & 4 of them were getting their 1st cap. I am surprised that this team actually got out of the group. I doubt very much that they'll get to the final.

I expect Mexico & Canada to play in the final w/Mexico winning their 5th Gold Cup.

NJL (As ever, YMMV, & of course I could be wrong...;)....we'll see soon ...:D ....)

Buzz
07-14-2009, 01:27 AM
NJL = :respec: :respec: :respec:

Just a reminder that there will be a bunch of CL games between tomorrow and wednesday, but the only name I recognise is Salzburg. LOL Got GOLtv but not sure if they will be showing any of the games. Watching these matches has got to be better than watching the Uruguay League games. :slinkaway

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/index.html

NeilJLeonard
07-19-2009, 12:08 AM
I expect Mexico & Canada to play in the final w/Mexico winning their 5th Gold Cup.

NJL (As ever, YMMV, & of course I could be wrong...;)....we'll see soon ...:D ....)
I was wrong. Mexico will not win their 5th Gold Cup by beating Canada. Honduras already beat Canada 1-0 in the quarter-finals.

USA v Panama next. This should be a tough, physical game. And, the USA is down to less than their 23 player roster as more players are returning to their club teams. We'll see what we'll see.

ETA: We'll see a very weak starting XI for the USA. Although they can have 30 players on the roster, they have a total of 18 available. All are dressed for tonight's game. It is a B- or C+ squad on the field tonight. Within the next couple of hours the defending champs will be eliminated...:(

ETA2: Panama 1 v 0 USA at the half.

ETA3: 1-1 draw at fulltime. They'll play another 30 minutes. At least the "C" team is making a game of it...:)

ETA4: At end of 1st OT -Panama 1 v 2 USA...PK awarded just before the end & the USA scored.

ETA5: Final score is USA 2 v 1 Panama ...Who'd a thunk it...:wideeyes:.
The Panamanian players & coaches chased the ref off of the field at the end because of the PK call....:lol:

NJL

Buzz
07-19-2009, 03:07 PM
ETA5: Final score is USA 2 v 1 Panama ...Who'd a thunk it...:wideeyes:.
The Panamanian players & coaches chased the ref off of the field at the end because of the PK call....:lol:NJL

hehehehehehe I hope the USA wins this thing! :cheer2: Thanks for the update Neil! :respec:

NeilJLeonard
07-19-2009, 03:52 PM
hehehehehehe I hope the USA wins this thing! :cheer2: Thanks for the update Neil! :respec:
Thanks for the good wishes...:)

Wild game. And difficult to watch. We had a huge storm pass over Broward County during this match & it KO'd Comcast Cable during the entire game. I tried to follow it on US Soccer's MatchTraker, but the storm KO'd that intermittently, too. Eventually the internet returned & I was able to find a live streaming feed of the match & got to see most of the 2nd period & all of the Extra Time play on a 4" x 4" screen on the PC. It was worth it....;)

BTW, the Panamanians have no beef on the PK. A flying drop kick administered cleats first to a players abdomen/crotch is a foul anywhere on this planet. It not only deserved a free kick but an ejection for the fouling player, too. I was surprised that he only got a yellow card out of it.

But then, maybe I shouldn't have been surprised. It was one of those CONCACAF games where a lot of 'interesting' officiating decisions were made, both ways. If ever you may wonder why the USA picks up so many red cards internationally, you should watch one of these important CONCACAF games. Contact sport, indeed. The contact & hitting would do an NFL linebacker or an NHL defenseman proud. Sadly, the same defensive attitude that must be adopted to survive in CONCACAF is frowned upon everywhere else. Or so it seems..;)

NJL (who will refrain from bad mouthing the USA from now on....they are not our best team as far as playing ability is concerned, but this team has heart & spirit and a refusal to be defeated....it's going to be interesting to see how they do against a revitalized Honduran team...:cool: ...)

NeilJLeonard
07-20-2009, 01:01 AM
At the half it is Mexico 2 v 0 Haiti. Mexico is dominating, but the Haitian keeper has kept the score reasonable. It could be 4 or 5 to 0.

The winner of this match will play Cost Rica, who won 5-1 over Guadeloupe in today's early game, in the late semi final on Thursday. I'm guessing Mexico will be the team to go.

The USA will play Honduras in the early game. To me that game is a toss up.

I'll post more when the Mexico/Haiti game goes the full 90.

NJL

ETA: Mexico 4 v 0 Haiti. Mexico v Costa Rica late. USA v Honduras early. Folks on the soccer boards seem to favor Costa Rica to take it all. They have to beat a solid Mexican team to do it. We'll see on Thursday....:)

Buzz
07-20-2009, 12:12 PM
I missed that Mexico vs Haiti game yesterday! :( Thanks for the update Neil. :)

NeilJLeonard
07-24-2009, 02:03 AM
USA 2 v 0 Honduras

I did not think I'd be saying this at the start of the tournament: USA advances to the Gold Cup Final on Sunday....:wideeyes:

More later on the score of the 2nd game.

NJL