PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk footie shall we?! :)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

NeilJLeonard
06-24-2009, 10:44 PM
I don't know about that, Spain played fantastically, they just didn't manage to score. So yeah, the US has a pretty good goalie, and some pretty good defence, and this time they managed to score too, buuut in the long run I'd say they still not as good as Spain, France, Italy, England, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, et al. :P
I agree. But the score is still USA 2 v 0 Spain. Big upset and a huge win for the USA. Despite this, they'll still lose to Mexico @ Azteca in August.

NJL (..now they get to play Brazil again, if Brazil beats South Africa, of course. Today's game proves that anything can happen....:biggrinbo ...)

ETA: Some stats - Shots: Spain - 29...US 9....Shots on goal: Spain - 9...US - 2...Saves: Spain - 0...US - 9...I have no idea what the time of possession was, it had to be at least 60% - 40% for Spain. The USA played to their strength and, IMvhO Spain simply could not overcome that & the absolutely inspired play of the US players. FWIW, I've read that the USA was 12-1 underdog to Spain yesterday. They were 500-1 underdog to England in 1950.

Orable
06-24-2009, 11:02 PM
And how long have you known me and my posts on soccer? LOL! Clearly, I was joking! (or, as the case was here, my friend was joking) Everyone knows that the US still has some time before being an actual soccer powerhouse. But until then, each time we beat a soccer power, we will be loudly happy about it! :P

I don't know about that, Spain played fantastically, they just didn't manage to score. So yeah, the US has a pretty good goalie, and some pretty good defence, and this time they managed to score too, buuut in the long run I'd say they still not as good as Spain, France, Italy, England, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, et al. :P

Buzz
06-25-2009, 07:35 AM
If Hugh Hefner announced he was gay, that piece of news would still not be as bigger a shock as the USA beating Spain 2-0. I think this is a bigger upset than the USA beating England waaaaay back in 1950. Someone broke the news to me at work and I was in total shock and complete denial. I had to rush home and check out the new myself. The sad part is, I doubt too many people in the US will even notice. Hopefully this defeat will only be a hiccup and Spain will still be a threat for the title at next year's WC. Congratulations to the US. Well done.

KHenry14
06-25-2009, 05:08 PM
I waited a day to comment since I've been too shell shocked to go online! What's striking to me is that the USA team looked so bad against Brazil and Italy, and somehow they've managed to turn this around is less than a week. I think all the negative reaction back home may have had an impact, as this victory over Spain wasn't luck, the team earned the result with excellent play. I think the Spanish probably underestimated the USA side and that played into the result. But honestly, the USMNT hasn't played this good a game since they beat Portugal in the 2002 WC.

And it needs to be said, even though he didn't score, I thought Landon Donovan had just about the finest game of his career. He was all over the pitch, tracking back on defense, and being dangerous on offense. He set the example of the type of work ethic that is needed to compete with the finest sides in the world.

KH14<--still using smelling salts

NeilJLeonard
06-25-2009, 05:58 PM
I waited a day to comment since I've been too shell shocked to go online! What's striking to me is that the USA team looked so bad against Brazil and Italy, and somehow they've managed to turn this around is less than a week. I think all the negative reaction back home may have had an impact, as this victory over Spain wasn't luck, the team earned the result with excellent play. I think the Spanish probably underestimated the USA side and that played into the result. But honestly, the USMNT hasn't played this good a game since they beat Portugal in the 2002 WC.

And it needs to be said, even though he didn't score, I thought Landon Donovan had just about the finest game of his career. He was all over the pitch, tracking back on defense, and being dangerous on offense. He set the example of the type of work ethic that is needed to compete with the finest sides in the world.

KH14<--still using smelling salts

They are the only team that could leave this comp with a 2 win, 3 loss record and consider it a huge success...;)

Next is the 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup with a completely different squad, mostly from MLS. I hope that they can get out of group play....:D

Then, on August 12th, they reopen WC qualifying in Mexico City @ Azteca Stadium....:wideeyes: ... Bradley will have his "A" team back then....and the Mex's will still humiliate them...:cool:...But, I now think that they'll get over that and qualify to WC2010.

NJL (..even if they may be in 2nd or 3rd place in the Hex...:rolleyes: ...)

sweetsparky
06-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Eys, I thought expect the unexpected was the Tennis Thread ;)

Sofia Alexandra
06-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Brazil - South Africa 1 - 0, and the goal didn't come until the 88th minute. If it hadn't been for South Africa battling through the game, winning in every way but scoring, it would've been a total snoozefest. Like with the first semifinal I felt the losing team deserved to win, but it's football, you don't get any points for trying. *zen*

U21 semifinals tomorrow. :watch: Swedish pessimism tells me that our boys will crash and burn now that everybody thinks they can win against anyone. :lol:

Sofia Alexandra
06-26-2009, 08:35 PM
To the Swedish U21 team: I salute you.

England got 1 - 0 in the very first minute, and it was downhill from there. The first half ended 3 - 0, and if this had been the A-team I doubt very much that they would've recovered.

Seems like the U21 pups didn't get that memo.

After full time it was 3 - 3 (!!!), and overtime. One English guy got a red card, but it didn't matter much as a Swedish guy was injured, barely able to play, so it was practically 10 - 10.
Overtime came and went, still 3 - 3 (Sweden had the best chances), then there were Penalties.

And England won, their goalie looking like the annoying, smug jock in an American college movie, making me want to punch him.

But still, despite the loss, I feel this Swedish teams played better and fought way harder than the full-grown national team, and they truly deserve every bit of credit they get.

For the future. :respec:

ETA: The second semifinal, between Italy - Germany, is happening right now, but I don't feel like watching. I've had my fill of drama for today.

Buzz
06-27-2009, 03:42 PM
I hope Italy wins. Italy is one of my European teams. :cheer2:

NeilJLeonard
06-27-2009, 06:48 PM
OOPS.....dupe....:shuffle:

NeilJLeonard
06-27-2009, 06:52 PM
I hope the refs in the Confed Cup final don't have the same bias as one of this threads posters: an all Swedish team led by Martin Hansson working the middle, except the 4th official is Benito Archundia from Mexico.

It should be an interesting match. I wonder which USA team will show up. The guys that played the 1st 2 games, or those that played the last 2? We'll see...;)

NJL (for all this, it must be admitted that a certain Swedish Lady has resurrected the USA Woman's National Team...Thanks, Pia....:) ...)

Sofia Alexandra
06-27-2009, 06:55 PM
U21 Final: England - Germany. Bah. I think I'll cheer for England, I've never managed to muster any liking for Germany when it comes to football. :P

JILEN
06-28-2009, 08:23 PM
USA smacking Brazil 2-0 halftime, right now.....it's been a great game so far. Anybody watching???

Sofia Alexandra
06-28-2009, 08:26 PM
USA - Brazil 2 - 0, after the first half of the Confederations Cup final. I'm not really cheering for any team, Brazil gets no love 'cos they're Brazil, and it's more interesting when they loose (plus they're playing booooring right now), USA gets no love by Rude Euro default. :P

Also, there are no :psoty: in either team. :drama: :blah: :lol:

NeilJLeonard
06-28-2009, 08:35 PM
USA smacking Brazil 2-0 halftime, right now.....it's been a great game so far. Anybody watching???

Of course!

More later, either way...:cool:

NJL