PDA

View Full Version : FSU Trivia 2009

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Lilia A
01-10-2009, 02:15 AM
I just played the skating trivia game, and the last question was about HOCKEY!!:huh:
Thank God I'm Canadian:P

ETA: I'm in first:D...for now.

mmscfdcsu
01-12-2009, 02:15 AM
Ouch! Hard questions today. :eek:

judiz
01-12-2009, 02:19 AM
I started playing a few days ago and I love this game but today's questions were so hard.

mmscfdcsu
01-12-2009, 02:24 AM
I started playing a few days ago and I love this game but today's questions were so hard.

Well...we can't all get 10 every day. I am trying to have a mix of easier and harder questions. We will get to the much hated music catagory soon. :eek:

judiz
01-12-2009, 02:29 AM
I actually don't mind the music questions, it's literature that kills me.

mmscfdcsu
01-12-2009, 02:33 AM
I actually don't mind the music questions, it's literature that kills me.

Music does me in. It's all Pop/Rock. I haven't listened to that kind of music since the 1960's. I don't do well in that catagory.

bobalina77
01-12-2009, 02:37 AM
I luuuurve music trivia! No so good at the literature though..

gkelly
01-12-2009, 03:44 AM
Actually, it's probably fairer to have really hard questions, because then the results have more to do with knowledge than with speed, as is the case when everyone gets 10s.

Being knowledgeable can help with getting better times. But so can having a larger monitor so you don't have to scroll as much, or a faster internet connection, or playing more often so that you recognize questions you've answered before and don't have to read the whole thing. Unavoidable advantages given the nature of the game, but not really supposed to be the point.

mmscfdcsu
01-12-2009, 03:56 AM
Actually, it's probably fairer to have really hard questions, because then the results have more to do with knowledge than with speed, as is the case when everyone gets 10s.

Being knowledgeable can help with getting better times. But so can having a larger monitor so you don't have to scroll as much, or a faster internet connection, or playing more often so that you recognize questions you've answered before and don't have to read the whole thing. Unavoidable advantages given the nature of the game, but not really supposed to be the point.

Good point. I plan to get back to the General catagory at some point, but not at the level 3. I'm thinking gradually move up to 4, 5 and 6 for really difficult questions. Since we have some new players, I will give everyone the catagories that I have to choose from. Feedback is welcomed. :)

judiz
01-12-2009, 11:26 AM
how are the questions chosen?

falling_dance
01-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Problematic Ice Skating Challenge question behind the spoilers.

10. Who skated to "Scheherezade" during the 2001-02 season as their short (original) program?

Your Answer: Michelle Kwan

:sigh: :salchow: :spiral:

jl
01-12-2009, 01:17 PM
I like trivia, but somehow I got addicted to writing questions...

Is it possible to just contribute a whole bunch of questions every week/month? I leave the discretion to whichever power-may-be to tell me if they are great or absolute crap.

Thanks! :)

gkelly
01-12-2009, 01:39 PM
The gate is very strong. It is made out of this metal?

The answer choices were all chemical symbols for elements.

I read about calcium-gated potassium channels all the time at work (although I have no idea what that really means).

So I was looking for Ca as an answer and wondering whether those physiological gates would be considered "very strong" . . . compared to what?

Took me several seconds to realize they meant the kind of gate you might find in a fence or wall.

jl
01-12-2009, 01:44 PM
:lol: That kind of mixup sounds like something I'm apt to do!

[insert boring biology explanation on Ca-K channels]

Calcium-gated potassium channels are proteins on cell membranes. Basically, cell membranes are not permeable (usually) to the passage of ions like potassium. Thus, there are protein "channels" through which potassium can flow, but they only open in the presence of calcium to bind to them - sort of like having a keycard at a security door and it opening. Only, instead of allowing everything to pass through, the door only allows the passage of potassium.

[end boring biology explanation ;) ]

mmscfdcsu
01-12-2009, 02:01 PM
I like trivia, but somehow I got addicted to writing questions...

Is it possible to just contribute a whole bunch of questions every week/month? I leave the discretion to whichever power-may-be to tell me if they are great or absolute crap.

Thanks! :)

All the questions come from the Fun Trivia site. I just pick the catagory. We do need to get lots more skating questions into the pool. You can join the fun trivia site and make up quizzes if you want. I've only done one, a couple of years ago. It's out of date now.

http://www.funtrivia.com/quizdetails.cfm?quiz=237174