All about Golf

sk9tingfan

Police arrested the PGA #1 player Scottie Scheffler for not stopping after a pedestrian had been killed in a prior accident. This took place ahead of the 2nd round of the PGA Championship in Louisville, KY. If this article goes behind a firewall, I'll doubleback and share it when a link becomes available:

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Scheffler didn't kill the pedestrian. The pedestrian died earlier in an accident. Scheffler came along later, when police were at the scene, and was arrested for disobeying a police officer as he tried to enter the course. I believe he was also charged with assault because he kept driving and dragged an officer a little way as the officer was hanging onto his door.

sk9tingfan

Police arrested the PGA #1 player Scottie Scheffler for killing a pedestrian ahead of the 2nd round of the PGA Championship in Louisville, KY. If this article goes behind a firewall, I'll doubleback and share it when a link becomes available:

Misread this. Sorry. Wow about the police officer!

nylynnr

Misread this. Sorry. Wow about the police officer!
That is a serious misread. It sounds like a big misunderstanding and overreach on the policeman's part -- the police were in unmarked cars, Scottie thought he was following directions by driving around the scene, and he was unaware of the cop trying to stop him. He was cuffed without incident, went to the station for a mug shot and was released. He is currently playing the course.

Cachoo

I think Colin Cowheard had a good take on this. If you are the best golfer in the world shouldn't the PGA provide some sort of security? He talked about the Fox reporters for football games and THEY have security. Sheffler is the best of the best right now. The PGA is cheap.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I think Colin Cowheard had a good take on this. If you are the best golfer in the world shouldn't the PGA provide some sort of security? He talked about the Fox reporters for football games and THEY have security. Sheffler is the best of the best right now. The PGA is cheap.

Golfers usually only get security once they’re on the course. Most people probably wouldn’t recognize Scottie (including the officer who arrested him).

The first tweet I saw this morning was #FreeScottie and I lost half my morning backreading Twitter and watching ESPN lol. As a golf nut that has experienced many wild days in the past few years with all the LIV junk, this is by far the CRAZIEST day.

Cachoo

Golfers usually only get security once they’re on the course. Most people probably wouldn’t recognize Scottie (including the officer who arrested him).

The first tweet I saw this morning was #FreeScottie and I lost half my morning backreading Twitter and watching ESPN lol. As a golf nut that has experienced many wild days in the past few years with all the LIV junk, this is by far the CRAZIEST day.
Well he is a Texas Longhorn so orange is a color he knows well. I think if he had a driver he could exit the car and walk to the course and let the driver worry about the vehicle. Or the driver would be in communication with a hub of some sort and know why there is a delay.

TanithandBenFan

Well he is a Texas Longhorn so orange is a color he knows well. I think if he had a driver he could exit the car and walk to the course and let the driver worry about the vehicle. Or the driver would be in communication with a hub of some sort and know why there is a delay.

Before Covid, volunteers used to drive the players around in the courtesy cars at the Zurich Classic PGA tournament here, but since Covid the players drive the cars themselves. I don’t know how the other tournaments handle it these days. ESPN did report that some players were getting out of their cars and walking to get through the traffic (Will Zalatoris walked a mile!) so someone must have been driving them. Could have been their caddies/agents/etc.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Fatal accidents are very dangerous and usually take hours to investigate. Police and investigators can get hit if people do not follow road blocks and instructions. We had one in our area the other day and while the news crews were filming a car sped around barriers and weaved through to get by. Luckily no one further was hurt.

Just because you are the number one golfer going to your tournament doesn’t mean you get special privileges. Hopefully body cameras were on and that will clear things up.

TanithandBenFan

Fatal accidents are very dangerous and usually take hours to investigate. Police and investigators can get hit if people do not follow road blocks and instructions. We had one in our area the other day and while the news crews were filming a car sped around barriers and weaved through to get by. Luckily no one further was hurt.

Just because you are the number one golfer going to your tournament doesn’t mean you get special privileges. Hopefully body cameras were on and that will clear things up.

The players and media did have special privileges, though, as they were the only ones who were being allowed to get through to the entrance gate. He was in a marked courtesy car and had credentials, and none of the reports say he was speeding. The media on the scene said it was a chaotic situation with all the emergency vehicles, darkness of the morning, and heavy rain, and I think there was an unfortunate misunderstanding of how/where to proceed to the entrance.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Then I would guess the special privileges did not get relayed to the officers on the scene or they had different directions. Wouldn’t be the first time. But if he was not complying and dragging an officer that’s not good.

Innocent people get shot by the police and the response from some is, “it was chaotic” or “they should have just complied, even if they were right”. So if we are going to tell people to comply, he needed to comply until it was sorted out.

TanithandBenFan

Then I would guess the special privileges did not get relayed to the officers on the scene or they had different directions. Wouldn’t be the first time. But if he was not complying and dragging an officer that’s not good.

Innocent people get shot by the police and the response from some is, “it was chaotic” or “they should have just complied, even if they were right”. So if we are going to tell people to comply, he needed to comply until it was sorted out.

I think the dragging might be exaggerated in the report and wish there would be actual footage to show what happened. Scottie just had his post-round presser, and he said all the other officers he interacted with after the arrest were friendly to him and even joking with him. If he’d acted as reckless as the report claims I don’t think they would have taken it so lightly.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
For those into golf, I'm taking my grad students on a study abroad trip to Scotland, and we'll spend a day at St. Andrews. Our focus there is sports business, but also, you know... golf, which I don't know much about beyond that this is a very important location.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I was nearly arrested in a similar situation. Trooper #1 motioned me to go around some stopped vehicles. When I got around, Trooper #2 started screaming at me and nearly flung himself on the hood of my car. When asked “what the f do you think you’re doing” I answered “Ask him” and pointed behind me. The two dudes clearly had communication issues.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Another article on golf.com - this time talking with one of the other guys who was in the car with Jeff Darlington.

Here’s how Wischusen recalls that moment: “When [Scheffler] drove past him, the cop got very angry pursuing the car. … My impression was he was kind of running alongside chasing the car, and maybe he tripped and fell. I mean, there was kind of an outcropping or median, you know, by the front gate. And keep in mind, it was raining. It was 6 o’clock in the morning. It was dark.”

Asked about Darlington’s characterization of the officer “attaching” himself to the car, Wischusen said, “I could see him stumble, but I did not have a very clear view of exactly how you want to categorize his contact with the car.”

TanithandBenFan

Multiple sources reported today that the charges will likely be dropped on Tuesday. It’s so unfortunate that the incident happened because Scottie had a really good shot at the Grand Slam this year. Yesterday it was clear that everything had caught up with him, and he didn’t play anywhere close to his ability. He came back with a good round today, but he lost too much ground yesterday.

Aceon6

Yesterday it was clear that everything had caught up with him, and he didn’t play anywhere close to his ability.
His agent said that he was already sleep deprived due to the new baby, had caught up on sleep a bit Mon-Thurs, then barely slept Friday night.

Aceon6

Holy sh!t. Nelly Korda just won again. I know it will be buried behind the PGA, but there’s something unreal about going 6 for 7.

And boo to Google thinking that Korda=Seb.

barbk

TanithandBenFan

@VALuvsMKwan I was just coming here to post the same. Super talented and super tortured soul.

This post by Rickie makes it sound like they know the cause of death. So incredibly sad. When Jim Nantz gave the news yesterday I got full body chills. It was such a shock.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
This post by Rickie makes it sound like they know the cause of death. So incredibly sad. When Jim Nantz gave the news yesterday I got full body chills. It was such a shock.

It is known.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
The charges against Scheffler have been dropped. The video evidence the city released last week was not complete, but what video they did have did not appear to support the officer's report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information